If you thought, “Hmm, Vandalog doesn’t seem to be updating as much” throughout 2017… Here’s why: We were focused on 1 JaHGDU Women 's Home Cotton Slippers Indoor Keep Warm Casual Slippers orange Mixed color Personality Quality Pink for Women, a 52-week campaign of ad takeovers across New York City! We worked with Faust, Shepard Fairey, Molly Crabapple, Jess X Snow, and dozens more artists to install their work in NYC payphones.
Now that the campaign has been going for a year, we’re ready to celebrate!
On January 26th, find us at LUCAS LUCAS in Williamsburg for an Art in Ad Places exhibition, and the launch of a book celebrating all of our ad takeovers to date. We’ll have photos from Luna Park, books, a special installation with the help of fellow ad takeover activist Jordan Seiler, and drinks from bluee JaHGDU Ladies Casual Fall Flip Flops Slipper Spring Cotton Slippers Soild color Personality Creativity for Women. We open at 7pm.
And if you can’t make it to the opening, the show will be open through February 3rd.
- 2 JaHGDU Ladies Casual Slippers at Home Retro Floral Printed Pattern Elegance Fresh Pastoral Gilish Basic Toung Style Indoor Flip Flops
- PDAQS Women Breast Cancer Pink Cute Signs Casual Loafers Canvas shoes Low top
- Zoylink Thigh High Boots Fashion Strappy Zipper Over The Knee Boots for Women
- Beautiful - Fashion Women's Flower Crisscross Dress Slip On Slide Sandals Open Toe Stiletto Kitten Heels shoes
- SaraIris Women's Round Toe Chunky High Heels Platform Zipper Knee high Boots
- Style & Co. Womens Winie Fabric Round Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- Womens Sexy Two Ankle Strap Sandals Stiletto High Heels Ladies Smart Peep Toe shoes Party Prom Strappy Pumps,Black-EU40 250
- Women's Cotton Boots New Winter Thick Warm shoes Comfort Loafers & Slip-Ons Casual Daily Walking shoes (color A, Size 38)
- Blandice Women's Super Soft Cozy Animal Themed House Slippers, Wide Assortment of Animals Available
- ECCO Men's Minneapolis Apron Toe Tie Oxford
- True Meaning Nice Women's Zipper High Heels Solid Low-Top Boots
- DC Tonik W SE shoes - Light Grey UK 55
- Walking Cradles Women's Landry Black Leather 6.5 M US
- Skechers Mens Dynamight Athleisure Slip On Casual shoes
- Cole Haan Women's Grandpro Tennis Sneaker
- Women's Ankle Boots Autumn Deck shoes Academy Winter Increased Thick-Soled Booties Lace Up British Martin Boots High-top Casual shoes (color White, Size 34)
- Jessica Simpson Women's Cerrina Ankle Bootie
- Frye Women's Veronica Belted Tall-Wshovn Engineer Boot
- AADDIN Leather shoes Men Dress shoes High Heels shoes Man Pointed Toe shoes Wedding Formal shoes
- IGI Men's's Ufx 21119 Gymnastics shoes
- Black Kenneth Cole New York Womens Hannon Strappy Mule Heeled Sandal
- Women's Summer Sandals Open Toe Bohemia Low Flat Heel with Cross Bead Folk Sandals Boho Beach Flip Flops Elastic T-Strap Clip On Flat shoes
- ASICS Men's Gt-2000 6 Running shoes
- Finn Comfort Riad, Unisex Adult Sandals
- Vittoria 1976 Classic Nylon Cycling shoes
- Aqua Sphere Sporter Water shoes 8 Black bluee
- ASO-SLING Women's Warm Fur Home Slippers Casual Soft Flats Floor Slipper Fashion Sheep Velvet Memory Foam Slides
- Top Shishang Winter Leisure Wedge high Tube lace Snow Boots Warm Lined Middle Waist Calf Boots Female
- LizForm Dress Sandal Rhinestone Embellished Handmade Gal Dress Heeled Sandal
- Kyle Walsh Pa Women Flats shoes Square Toe Slip-on Ladies Soft Footwear shoes women
- CYBLING Fashion Stiletto Heels Dress Pumps for Women Pointed Toe Wedding Bowtie shoes
- Rainbow Womens Single Layer Premium Leather with colorful Midsole Narrow Strap Sandal Sierra Melon Size Large
- IWlxz Women's Synthetics Spring & Summer Classic Minimalism Sandals Stiletto Heel Black Beige Light bluee Wedding Party & Evening
- ANYUETE Women's Comfortable Loafers Slip-On shoes
- Ladies Winter Boots, 2019 Women's Solid Over The Knee Boots, Square High Heel Fashion Round Toe Elastic Women shoes (color Nude, Size 39)
- BESTON EI53 Women's Back Zip Stacked Heel Ankle Western Booties One Size Small
- MUMUWU Athletic shoes for Men Outdoor Sports Sneakers Genuine Leather Running Training Walking
- YDN Women Open Toe golden Block Low Heel Sandals Ankle Straps Pumps Party shoes
- White Navy Adidas ORIGINALS Men's Stan Smith shoes
- Swims Braided Lace Lux Loafer Driver shoes in Black Graphite 12
- Kaitosan Women's Fashion Sneakers Black
- BIANJESUS Men's shoes Spring Summer Casual Tide shoes Wild Sports Fashion Sports shoes
- XIE Men's Leather Sandals Closed-Toe Workout shoes summer Fisherman's shoes
- Cutter Black Grey Sports Safety Trainer, Size 7
- QRETYSG flip flop Men Summer Sandals Casual shoes Beach Sandals Brand Flat Outdoor Brown Black Man Walking Sneakers
- Black JIALUN-Sandals Men's Hook & Loop Strap Sandals Slip on Style Actual Leather Clear Toe Water Beach Sport shoes
- WXMDDN Female Dance shoes red shoes shoes Yarn Dance shoes Four Seasons shoes Adult Soft Soles Dance shoes
- Colourtouch 2039womens Heeled Sandals Pink
- RedBrowm 3ATM Waterproof Man Six Needle Watch Time Multi-Function Watch Date Display
- Frestree Fashion Mens Tennis shoes Rubber Soles Sport shoes
- Wuixkas Colourfor Skull and Crossedbones Womens Lightweight Mesh Sneakers Casual Running shoes
- AllhqFashion Women's Soft Leather Round Closed Toe Solid High-top High-Heels Boots
- AandN Womens Boots Closed-Toe Lace-Up Kitten-Heel Rubber Waterproof Warm Lining Nubuck Round-Toe Bridal Light-Weight Urethane Boots DKU01870
- Ououla Funny Dachshunds Playing With Insects Womens Stylish NMD PK Walking Sneakers shoes
- Sexy Fish Mouth Women's shoes Super High Heel Waterproof Platform Fine Heel Women's Sandals,2,4
In 2017, I curated the We The People series for 1 JaHGDU Ladies Casual Slippers Papa Bear Cartoon Fashion Indoor Cotton Keep Warm Sandals for Women Pink Brown Slippers, a series of six murals by some of my favorite artists. I probably should have been writing about We The People on here regularly since July, but here’s a very belated update from Philly.
Before we get into We the People, a bit of context. The last year has seen the floodgates open in the USA, with national conversations on crises that have been festering under-reported for years, like sexual harassment and racism. The arts community has added their voices to the mix through projects like the Red JaHGDU Ladies Casual Cute Toes Style Appearant Slippers Super Soft Plush Paws Comfortable Special Design Home Leisure Cotton Slippers, Pink JaHGDU Women Home Slippers Leisure Home Indoor Slippers Light bluee Pink Stripe Soild color Personality for Women, and the Whitney’s An Incomplete History of Protest.
This moment demands urgent public art. And muralists have responded. In at least one case, an artist was censored after-the-fact and had to make things work 1 JaHGDU Women 's Home Cotton Slippers Indoor Keep Warm Casual Slippers Big Red Soild color Personality Quality for Women. But some mural festivals have embraced a spirit of activism, most notably Leopard print JaHGDU Ladies Fall Winter Home Cotton Slippers Leopard Washable Leopard Print Stylish Female Casual Breathable Loafers Slippers in Rochester, NY and Pink JaHGDU Women Four Seasons Home shoes Slippers Ladies Soft Indoor and Leisure Home Girl Slippers Pink for Women in Atlanta, GA.
It’s in a similar spirit to all of those projects that we tried a little experiment in Philadelphia with We The People. When Mural Arts invited me to curate a series of walls for them, I figured it had to be of the moment, and with artists that they weren’t already doing a lot of work with. So we invited Green BosotYeezy Women's WMNS Human Race NMD TR Running shoes, Chris “Daze” Ellis, Black Shiney Women's Booties Genuine Leather Nightclub High Heel Sheepskin Boots Stiletto Heels Zipper Boots Autumn Winter, Dennis McNett, NTEL, and Jess X. Snow to create work celebrating the best of the American spirit right now, while also reflecting current national concerns. Plus, it was a continuation of Mural Arts’ years-long effort to work with more street artists. There was little community engagement beyond what I and the project manager did while hunting for walls, but I think that by being careful about sites, artists, and content, we brought to life some strong, timely, and site-responsive work.
Let’s start off 2018 on the right foot. Here’s a suggestion from White Eithy Women's Shacco Stiletto Ankle-high Zipper Leather Boots.
Photo by Uncle Susan
Our friend Doug Gillen at B Women's shoes Spring and Autumn Single shoes Thick with lace-up shoes Women Black Comfortable Women's shoes (color B, Size 36) just posted a video commentary on New Black Imsu CITYCLASSIFIED City Classified Rex Womens Wedges visit to Palestine, part of a residency at White White Turbo F11 Adidas Originals Men's EQT Support Rf Fashion Sneaker Black Grey LifeStride Womens Lively Dress Pump Pump. Doug echos this (somewhat flawed but worth reading) piece from Isaac Brosilow, Mood Indigo Palladium Men's Pampa Hi Originale Chukka. I’ve written very positively about Lush in the past, we released a product of his through Vandalog, and he even contributed to the site once upon a time. But I gotta agree with Doug on this one… Lush has gone off the deep end, and something doesn’t feel quite right here, to say the least.
Photo from Lush’s Twitter
The word sideshow comes up several times in conversation when discussing the traveling installation centered on Andrew H. Shirley’s Wastedland 2 film. The touring exhibition is as much of a whirlwind as the artist himself, connecting collaborators from across the country in an ever-evolving project.
While the upcoming screening of Wastedland 2 this Friday at Black 4 Wizfort shoes Men's Prestige is the first screening with an emphasis on audience participation through costumes, the film had previously shown in New York City at the Knockdown Center. At this venue, from the moment I stepped into the installation it felt like a family reunion, a theme that is echoed throughout the film. It was a feeling I couldn’t quite put my finger on, and decided it was probably all the personal connections I had with the people and left it at that. However, when I went to interview Andrew, I had to ask if he could illuminate why even people I knew who were not personally familiar with the crews involved still came away with this sense of kinship. Shirley explained, “In many ways Wastedland 2 created not only a new platform of film exhibition, but perhaps exemplified the idea of collaborative action and support from a community that is sometimes over looked as far as how genuinely loyal and generous they are. The graffiti community not only looks out for each other, but they are a family that looks out for people in need- in many ways.” From assisting in the entry of buildings to a floor to call a safe home for the night, the filmmaker was quick to name all of the people and places who helped him out. It may not have been a direct connection, but maybe a friend of a friend, because as he stated they are the family that always looks out for one another.
Beyond these overarching themes, I was curious about how the process varied city to city, having only attended the Knockdown Center screening myself. Footwear White Core Black Footwear White adidas Men's Barricade Classic Bounce Tennis shoes
Obviously, that headline is misleading. And the above video is pretty messed up. But it’s pretty messed up inside the heads of Alex Jones’ viewers! Which brings us to… Inside the Crisis Actors Studio, hosted by James Lipton, a show based on things that far right conspiracy theorists actually believe. Admittedly, this is maybe an odd thing for me to post about, but I’ve been thinking about Inside the Crisis Actors Studio all week. Plus, although the video’s creators have chosen to remain anonymous, at least one of them has been covered on Vandalog before, and they’d be familiar to the street art/activism community.
No doubt that Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is disturbing. Four actors who were due to audition declined after reading the script. But it’s also rooted in a kind of truth, the truth that some people actually believe this stuff. The references that Lipton and “crisis actor” Mark Hannigan make are based on conspiracies that people Alex Jones and his fans actually subscribe to. Yes, seriously. If you’ve never before heard of the concept of a crisis actor, consider yourself lucky, but sheltered. Realizing that these conspiracies are out there starts to explain a little of why gun control is so difficult. Plus, it’s got me thinking about the media that I consume and the bubbles of odd beliefs and consumption that we all fall into. Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is some necessary but dark (very dark) comedy. Hopefully, more episodes are forthcoming.
Who doesn’t love popsicles? You? If you don’t love popsicles, maybe you work at JCDecaux (and even if you do work at JCDecaux and claim they aren’t your thing… we all know you still love popsicles).
Well, I love popsicles, and it seems that my friend Vlady is also a normal popsicle-loving person. For JCDecaux Ice Lolly, he covered up a series of JCDecaux’s ad spaces in Turku, Finland. This particular kind of outdoor ad, where the ad just pops up out of the ground, unattached to a pay phone, bus shelter, or any other public amenity, is sometimes referred to as a lollipop, for obvious reasons. So, Vlady took the hint and turned all of these annoying lollipop ad kiosks into summer treats.
It’s a wonderfully simple intervention, one that doesn’t even require a key to open to ad kiosks, since Vlady just paints right over them. I’ve been thinking about how New Yorkers could do something similar with the LinkNYC towers that have been popping up everywhere… Maybe white sheets that turn the towers into ghosts for Halloween? But the popsicle idea is just perfect. Turn something hated into something everyone can enjoy.
Here’s one more:
Thanks Vlady! This series really made my day. Certainly the best street art I’ve seen all week (although Banksy at the Barbican is pretty great too), and something that anyone who feels inspired can replicate or adapt to their own environment.
To my readers: enjoy the last bits of summer. And remember: There’s no better way to enjoy the nice weather than a bit of vandalism for the public good!
Photos by Vlady
Escif and Black Leath Bella Vita Womens Emerson Chelsea Boot just wrapped up two murals each at Light Silver Chase & Chloe New Kimmy-36 Women's Teardrop Cut Out T-Strap Mid Heel Dress Pumps, a self-managed neighborhood in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain that’s been around since 2013. The Errekaleor community is currently fighting against eviction, and has transitioned to renewable energy via solar panels after the city cut them off from the grid.
I’m not usually one for glow-in-the-dark murals, but I love this one from Escif. On his blog, Escif wrote (translated here by Google and me), “The city cut the light without thinking that night belongs to the residents, and they were given, unknowingly, the possibility of making the darkness a little clearer. They say cats can see at night. So we painted the eyes of this great black cat with fluorescent paint so that he too can be self-sufficient.”
And this Blu mural is an instant classic, and hopefully an inspiration to the residents of Errekaleor who are resisting eviction and development.
Best of luck to the residents of Errekaleor as they continue their fight.
Photos from Escif and Blu
Been slow on updating Vandalog lately, and I’m realizing it’s because I’ve spent so much of this year focused on curating and project management, and that’s meant that writing has taken a backseat. Still, sometimes I come across something great that doesn’t need much additional commentary.
Today, that was this piece by Sunglow Yellow Microsuede Circus by Sam Edelman Womens Suzanna Heeled Sandal and - Blowfish Women's Bug Ankle Bootie, which you can find in Potenza, Italy. Aliens are welcome became immigrants are welcome. Aliens are welcome because sometimes it feels like my country is so messed up right now that it couldn’t possibly get any worse with aliens in charge (although I guess that’s the sort of logic that got us into this mess…). Aliens are welcome because if you’re gonna write something on a wall, it might as well be a greeting to a stranger. Aliens are welcome because why not.
Photo courtesy of Rub Kandy
Navy Pu Cambridge Select Women's Classic Square Toe Padded Comfort Tapered High Heel Pump (Hi-Res Red Core Black Scarlet adidas Men's Crazy Power Lifting shoes), the author of this post, is a queer Asian public artist, filmmaker and poet.
The moment I walked away from painting this piece, I knew it was going to be defaced. I just didn’t know how soon. I made this piece as a prayer to the queer body—in a world where LGBTQ people are thrown into the margins. When home does not exist for us in this world, where can we discover home other than within the beauty of our own bodies? Sometimes that home-making looks like masturbation. This piece, resting at the top of the Lanikai Pillbox Hike in Kailua, Hawaii, lasted barely two days before the word “queer” was crossed out, and a penis was spray painted between the hands. This leaves me wondering: is queer street art/graffiti perpetually destined to be short-lived? What does that have to say about the safety of queer people of color in America and the world?
When queer people of color have no safe havens, religions, or churches in this society, we must turn to our own bodies for safety. In the same way a lover’s touch across a chest can calm the fiercest of storms, when I touch myself, I become my own queer lover. For one moment, all the forces that marginalize me cease to exist.
When I wrote this poem and birthed it into public space, I was thinking about what it could mean for queer people to happen upon acknowledgement of their own survival at the top of a long hike. I was thinking about queer immigrant children whose identities are rejected by homophobic parents and the complicated push and pull of duty and desire when you still love your family but also love yourself enough to know some identities run deeper than bone and cannot be unlearned. I was thinking about the dancers who lost their lives in the Pulse nightclub shooting, and all the queer bars and clubs across this world that have learned to operate underground. I was thinking about the late Chinese photographer Ren Hang, and queer and transgender warriors who were already living in a future so brilliant, this world was not ready for them. I was thinking about all the times where the violences of this world collapsed in on me and I too didn’t know how much longer I could stay in this world, but somehow, by touching myself, or making a piece of art, I rooted my body back into the Earth and found the resilience within me to live another morning.
Birthing queer poems and murals often feels akin to what I imagine it would be like to be a mother to queer children. I imagine bracing them for the violence of this society, preparing them for a never-ending war—where they will be bullied, forced into a closet, or pressured to camouflage with their heteronormative surroundings. Yet no violence or silencing will stop me from giving queer art the beautiful life and care that it deserves. Body bent over the wall, for once in my life, I was able to share the intimate experience of my survival in public space and make a poem out of it. These words were sacred to me, and when they appeared as a monumental prayer, surrounded by the roaring Pacific, it felt as if there were not one but thousands of mornings left for me to live.
The erasure of the word “queer” and the painting of a penis on top of a queer woman’s art is a reflection of the patriarchal and homophobic world we live in. If queer survival and masturbation is so threatening to this society, then I suppose it must be some type of magic. If our words are to be feared, crossed out and set to fire, let them burn bright like a meteorite and blind those who cannot acknowledge the beauty of queer survival. What the homophobic and transphobic world doesn’t understand is that no matter how many times our identities are crossed out, there is an impenetrable home within our bodies, which we can always return to.
This resilience is ancestral. Like the genderless leopard slugs that hang upside down from trees and mutually penetrate, or polyamorous lesbian bonobo monkeys who resolve conflict through sex, queerness and sexual diversity has existed since the dawning of life on Earth. Brown6 Susanny Women's Mid Calf Leather Boots High Heel Lace Up Military Buckle Motorcycle Cowboy Ankle Booties
I will continue to put queer joy and self-love into public space regardless of those it provokes because I believe in a queer future. I believe in a world where young queers can finally be affirmed by their own secrets on the streets and at the tops of buildings—whether they are just coming out, or have long celebrated their queer crushes, or are learning the beauty of self-pleasure for the first time. We have been invisibilized, burned, and marginalized long enough. Most importantly, I believe the truths that keep us living and in love must be made public.
Note: Thank you to queer multi-disciplinary artist, Tan Pu Cambridge Select Women's Western Distressed Stretch Chunky Stacked Heel Ankle Bootie and Hawaiian artist Ittai Wong for making this piece possible and uplifting me and the beautiful communities that surround you. A few of the themes brought up in this article came from Black Black Donald J Pliner Womens Cava Floral Print Textured Wedge Sandals by Greta Gard.
Thank you Ocean Vuong, and his poem Black Pu Cambridge Select Women's Western Side Stretch Buckle Stacked High Heel Ankle Bootie for giving me the courage to bring these thoughts to poetry. Thank you Black Clear Betsey Johnson bluee Women's SB-Jozie Over The Knee Boot, Black Clear for giving me the courage to bring my poetry to the streets.
Thank you Ren Hang (March 30, 1987-February 24, 2017) wherever you are, I hope there is no censorship, or borders, only joy.
Photos by Chad Shomura, Ren Hang, and Ittai Wong