If you thought, “Hmm, Vandalog doesn’t seem to be updating as much” throughout 2017… Here’s why: We were focused on Irish Setter Men's Drifter 2808 Hiking Boot, a 52-week campaign of ad takeovers across New York City! We worked with Faust, Shepard Fairey, Molly Crabapple, Jess X Snow, and dozens more artists to install their work in NYC payphones.
Now that the campaign has been going for a year, we’re ready to celebrate!
On January 26th, find us at LUCAS LUCAS in Williamsburg for an Art in Ad Places exhibition, and the launch of a book celebrating all of our ad takeovers to date. We’ll have photos from Luna Park, books, a special installation with the help of fellow ad takeover activist Jordan Seiler, and drinks from SK Studio Unisex Fashion PU Leather Thong Sandals EVA Flats Cork Slippers. We open at 7pm.
And if you can’t make it to the opening, the show will be open through February 3rd.
- Tidewater Sandals Women's Turquoise Palmetto Madras
- Ankle Booties 12Cm Stiletto Martin Boot Wedding Dress Boot Women Elegant Pointed Toe Plush Bowknot OL Court shoes EU Size 34-40
- Keds Women's Champion Crochet Fashion Sneaker
- Sport Baseball shoes Knitted Fashion Outdoor Sneakers Lightweight Gym Athletic shoes for Men Trail Workout
- Women's Davinci Designer 1879 Leather Italian Casual Dressy Two Strap Wedge Heel Sandal
- Men's Four Seasons Dress shoes top Layer Cowhide Animal Print high-end Business Leather shoes
- Dan Post Men's EARP Boot
- Clarks Men's Claude Plain Loafers
- Adidas Ace 17.4 in Men's Indoor Soccer shoes
- Lakai Footwear Newport White Navy Suedesize Tennis shoes, White Navy Suede
- Dress shoes for Men Pointed Toe lace-up Derbys shoes Patent Leather shoes Formal wear Men's shoes Business
- Pink Leather Aerosoles Womens South East Penny Loafer
- Leather Ghillie Brogue Kilt shoes Traditional Scottish Piper and Highland Outfit Wedding shoes Featuring Extra Long Laces & Leather Tassels - Sizes 7 – 15 Style - Square Toe Fashion color - Black
- CHENSF Women's Back Lace up Fold Cuff Tie Flat High Knee Boots
- Rongzhi Womens Platform High Heels Cross Strap Buckle Heeled Sandals Dress Party Heels shoes Open Toe
- Sunlome colorful Scale Print Women's Leather Tote Shoulder Bags Handbags
- Women's PU Rhinestones Chains Elastic Strappy Flat Bohemia Sandals Summer Beach Wedding shoes,Red,41
- LH Unisex Neoprene Gardening Boots and Rain Boots
- shoesmaker's heart Wedding shoes Waterproof Platform Red Sexy Flower Shallow Women's shoes Waterproof Table Thick Bride Lace
- TOGIC Elegant Comfortable Womens Lace Up Closed Toe Stiletto Heels Ankle Boots
- Paramise sandal High Heels Sandals Women Black Fashion Scrub Hollow Out Cross Tied Rome shoes Super Heel shoes
- Jerusalem Sandals Womens Rachel Slide Sandal
- Woman Ankle Boots High Thick Heel Pointed Toe PU Zipper Winter Autumn Fashion Sexy Ladies Party Short shoes
- Women's Sexy Thick with Strappy Sandals Summer Open-Toe High Heels (color Black, Size 37)
- Donald J Pliner Hollie-08 Slip on Slide Flat Sandals, Black
- Sanita Izabella' Professional Clogs in bluee (Art 457006)
- Remonte Damen Schnuerhalbschuhe, Stiefel grey, 990878-9
- Nike Air Max2 CB 94
- Scrub and Winter Models Boots Sexy Fashion Single with Women's shoes Winter Pointed Stiletto High Heel Rhinestones (color Black, Size 40)
- ZJ Men's shoes,Pu Fall,Comfort High-Top Sneakers,Personality Walking shoes,Socks shoes,Outdoor, Fashion Athletic shoes,Casual Running shoes
- Grunland CE0501 LINO Ciabatta men P.
- Black DOSOMI Women Wedge Sneakers Plus Size Lace Up Round Toe Embroidery Platform Med Heel Fashion Casual Wedge Sneakers
- YJNB Fall And Winter 2016 Increased Thickening Within The New Boots Snow Boots
- Smilice Large Size & Small Size Women Mid Calf Martin Boots Lace Up Zipper Block Heel shoes Black
- Fairly 5 colors shoes High Heel Open Toe Zipper Spike Heels Summer shoes Concise,Beige,7
- Steve Madden Men's Harver Oxford
- VALLEgreen 36821 Low Sneakers Man
- Bianco Azzurro w6yz Jet-M Sneakers Man
- YDN Women's Classic Pointed Toe Flats Lace Up Ankle High Ballets shoes with Bow
- AmoonyFashion Women's Kitten-Heels Solid Round Closed Toe Patent Leather Lace-up Boots
- CASSOCK Women's High Heel Sandals Simple Fur Tassel Summer Beach Fashion Sandal shoes
- Boots Women's Winter Snow, Casual Non-Slip Warm shoes
- Vince Camuto Womens Aranda Ankle Boot
- Women's Ankle Boots Autumn Winter Round Head Martin Boots Fashion Rough Heels Bare Boots Outdoor Walking shoes Black Brown (color Black, Size 42)
- T-JULY Women Velvet Round Toe Height Increasing Zip Long Chelsea Boots Fashion Roman shoes Large Size Over The Knee Boots
- Nine Seven Women's Genuine Leather Pointed Toe Classic Style Handmade Flat Low Heel Slip On Leather Pumps shoes
- Musse & Cloud Womens Ambar Ankle Bootie
- DSFGHE Men Boots Spring and Autumn Tactical Boots Lightweight Work Boots High Help Breathable High Help Lace-up shoes Snow Boots
- Nine Seven Genuine Leather Women's Pointed Toe Stiletto Heel Handmade Fashion Ankle Booties with Bow
- Women's Long Boots, Knight Boots, Sexy Over The Knee Boots High Heels Black Boots, Pointed Toe Stilettos Fetish High Heels Night Club shoes (color Black, Size 41)
- Oxmox 400 Women's Italian Low Mid Heel Pointy Toe Dressy shoes
- Y-H Men's Running shoes,Spring New Lace-Up Casual Sneakers, Walking Gym shoes Trekking Travel shoes,whitered,43
- LEDLFIE Men's Leather shoes Fashion British Style Dress Business shoes Round Lace
- Lotto Sport Stadio P Vi 300 Sg6, Men's Footbal shoes, Multicolour (blk mint Fl), 6.5 UK
- CALTO - G3329-4 Inches Taller - Height Increasing Elevator shoes (Glacier bluee High-top Sneakers)
In 2017, I curated the We The People series for Rockport Work Men's RK6761 Work shoes, a series of six murals by some of my favorite artists. I probably should have been writing about We The People on here regularly since July, but here’s a very belated update from Philly.
Before we get into We the People, a bit of context. The last year has seen the floodgates open in the USA, with national conversations on crises that have been festering under-reported for years, like sexual harassment and racism. The arts community has added their voices to the mix through projects like the ECCO Men's Kyle Low-Top Sneakers, So iLL Kick Climbing shoes, and the Whitney’s An Incomplete History of Protest.
This moment demands urgent public art. And muralists have responded. In at least one case, an artist was censored after-the-fact and had to make things work Mizuno shoes Wave Medal 5. But some mural festivals have embraced a spirit of activism, most notably Finn Comfort FinnComfort Herren Pantolette Riad Black Bison 1508 in Rochester, NY and Wolverine Traditional Steel-Toe 6 Work Boot Men's in Atlanta, GA.
It’s in a similar spirit to all of those projects that we tried a little experiment in Philadelphia with We The People. When Mural Arts invited me to curate a series of walls for them, I figured it had to be of the moment, and with artists that they weren’t already doing a lot of work with. So we invited Adidas Originals Mens Predator 18.3 Firm Ground, Chris “Daze” Ellis, New Men's Business Oxford Casual Low Top Classic Fashion Outdoor Soft and Cotton Warm Formal shoes(Conventional Optional) Cricket shoes, Dennis McNett, NTEL, and Jess X. Snow to create work celebrating the best of the American spirit right now, while also reflecting current national concerns. Plus, it was a continuation of Mural Arts’ years-long effort to work with more street artists. There was little community engagement beyond what I and the project manager did while hunting for walls, but I think that by being careful about sites, artists, and content, we brought to life some strong, timely, and site-responsive work.
Let’s start off 2018 on the right foot. Here’s a suggestion from Adidas Men's Supernova GTX M Running shoes.
Photo by Uncle Susan
Our friend Doug Gillen at Nike Juniors Air Max 90 Mesh (GS) - Sail Igloo - 833340-107 just posted a video commentary on Sun68 Men's shoes Jaki Mesh Fluo Yellow Sneaker SS 2019 visit to Palestine, part of a residency at Nike Magista Obra II Academy Dynamic Fit FG, White Red Cole Haan Men's Coburn Penny Driver Ii Loafer. Doug echos this (somewhat flawed but worth reading) piece from Isaac Brosilow, Rieker F1210-45, Men's Chukka Boots. I’ve written very positively about Lush in the past, we released a product of his through Vandalog, and he even contributed to the site once upon a time. But I gotta agree with Doug on this one… Lush has gone off the deep end, and something doesn’t feel quite right here, to say the least.
Photo from Lush’s Twitter
The word sideshow comes up several times in conversation when discussing the traveling installation centered on Andrew H. Shirley’s Wastedland 2 film. The touring exhibition is as much of a whirlwind as the artist himself, connecting collaborators from across the country in an ever-evolving project.
While the upcoming screening of Wastedland 2 this Friday at Shukun Men's boots Autumn And Winter Men'S Martin Boots Men'S High Help Wild Students In The Short Boots Men is the first screening with an emphasis on audience participation through costumes, the film had previously shown in New York City at the Knockdown Center. At this venue, from the moment I stepped into the installation it felt like a family reunion, a theme that is echoed throughout the film. It was a feeling I couldn’t quite put my finger on, and decided it was probably all the personal connections I had with the people and left it at that. However, when I went to interview Andrew, I had to ask if he could illuminate why even people I knew who were not personally familiar with the crews involved still came away with this sense of kinship. Shirley explained, “In many ways Wastedland 2 created not only a new platform of film exhibition, but perhaps exemplified the idea of collaborative action and support from a community that is sometimes over looked as far as how genuinely loyal and generous they are. The graffiti community not only looks out for each other, but they are a family that looks out for people in need- in many ways.” From assisting in the entry of buildings to a floor to call a safe home for the night, the filmmaker was quick to name all of the people and places who helped him out. It may not have been a direct connection, but maybe a friend of a friend, because as he stated they are the family that always looks out for one another.
Beyond these overarching themes, I was curious about how the process varied city to city, having only attended the Knockdown Center screening myself. GUNAINDMX Spring low to help men's shoes casual shoes shoes
Obviously, that headline is misleading. And the above video is pretty messed up. But it’s pretty messed up inside the heads of Alex Jones’ viewers! Which brings us to… Inside the Crisis Actors Studio, hosted by James Lipton, a show based on things that far right conspiracy theorists actually believe. Admittedly, this is maybe an odd thing for me to post about, but I’ve been thinking about Inside the Crisis Actors Studio all week. Plus, although the video’s creators have chosen to remain anonymous, at least one of them has been covered on Vandalog before, and they’d be familiar to the street art/activism community.
No doubt that Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is disturbing. Four actors who were due to audition declined after reading the script. But it’s also rooted in a kind of truth, the truth that some people actually believe this stuff. The references that Lipton and “crisis actor” Mark Hannigan make are based on conspiracies that people Alex Jones and his fans actually subscribe to. Yes, seriously. If you’ve never before heard of the concept of a crisis actor, consider yourself lucky, but sheltered. Realizing that these conspiracies are out there starts to explain a little of why gun control is so difficult. Plus, it’s got me thinking about the media that I consume and the bubbles of odd beliefs and consumption that we all fall into. Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is some necessary but dark (very dark) comedy. Hopefully, more episodes are forthcoming.
Who doesn’t love popsicles? You? If you don’t love popsicles, maybe you work at JCDecaux (and even if you do work at JCDecaux and claim they aren’t your thing… we all know you still love popsicles).
Well, I love popsicles, and it seems that my friend Vlady is also a normal popsicle-loving person. For JCDecaux Ice Lolly, he covered up a series of JCDecaux’s ad spaces in Turku, Finland. This particular kind of outdoor ad, where the ad just pops up out of the ground, unattached to a pay phone, bus shelter, or any other public amenity, is sometimes referred to as a lollipop, for obvious reasons. So, Vlady took the hint and turned all of these annoying lollipop ad kiosks into summer treats.
It’s a wonderfully simple intervention, one that doesn’t even require a key to open to ad kiosks, since Vlady just paints right over them. I’ve been thinking about how New Yorkers could do something similar with the LinkNYC towers that have been popping up everywhere… Maybe white sheets that turn the towers into ghosts for Halloween? But the popsicle idea is just perfect. Turn something hated into something everyone can enjoy.
Here’s one more:
Thanks Vlady! This series really made my day. Certainly the best street art I’ve seen all week (although Banksy at the Barbican is pretty great too), and something that anyone who feels inspired can replicate or adapt to their own environment.
To my readers: enjoy the last bits of summer. And remember: There’s no better way to enjoy the nice weather than a bit of vandalism for the public good!
Photos by Vlady
Escif and Superfit Culusuk, Boys’ Snow Boots just wrapped up two murals each at Eye Safety Systems - FirePro 1971 EX 2, a self-managed neighborhood in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain that’s been around since 2013. The Errekaleor community is currently fighting against eviction, and has transitioned to renewable energy via solar panels after the city cut them off from the grid.
I’m not usually one for glow-in-the-dark murals, but I love this one from Escif. On his blog, Escif wrote (translated here by Google and me), “The city cut the light without thinking that night belongs to the residents, and they were given, unknowingly, the possibility of making the darkness a little clearer. They say cats can see at night. So we painted the eyes of this great black cat with fluorescent paint so that he too can be self-sufficient.”
And this Blu mural is an instant classic, and hopefully an inspiration to the residents of Errekaleor who are resisting eviction and development.
Best of luck to the residents of Errekaleor as they continue their fight.
Photos from Escif and Blu
Been slow on updating Vandalog lately, and I’m realizing it’s because I’ve spent so much of this year focused on curating and project management, and that’s meant that writing has taken a backseat. Still, sometimes I come across something great that doesn’t need much additional commentary.
Today, that was this piece by FUBULECY Men's shoes Casual shoes Peas Toe Leather shoes A Pedal Set Foot shoes (color Black, Size 45) and shoes Asics Gel-sonoma 3 G-tx, which you can find in Potenza, Italy. Aliens are welcome became immigrants are welcome. Aliens are welcome because sometimes it feels like my country is so messed up right now that it couldn’t possibly get any worse with aliens in charge (although I guess that’s the sort of logic that got us into this mess…). Aliens are welcome because if you’re gonna write something on a wall, it might as well be a greeting to a stranger. Aliens are welcome because why not.
Photo courtesy of Rub Kandy
Puma Speed 600 Ignite, Unisex Adults' Running shoes (Puma Unisex Adults’ Storm Origin Trainers), the author of this post, is a queer Asian public artist, filmmaker and poet.
The moment I walked away from painting this piece, I knew it was going to be defaced. I just didn’t know how soon. I made this piece as a prayer to the queer body—in a world where LGBTQ people are thrown into the margins. When home does not exist for us in this world, where can we discover home other than within the beauty of our own bodies? Sometimes that home-making looks like masturbation. This piece, resting at the top of the Lanikai Pillbox Hike in Kailua, Hawaii, lasted barely two days before the word “queer” was crossed out, and a penis was spray painted between the hands. This leaves me wondering: is queer street art/graffiti perpetually destined to be short-lived? What does that have to say about the safety of queer people of color in America and the world?
When queer people of color have no safe havens, religions, or churches in this society, we must turn to our own bodies for safety. In the same way a lover’s touch across a chest can calm the fiercest of storms, when I touch myself, I become my own queer lover. For one moment, all the forces that marginalize me cease to exist.
When I wrote this poem and birthed it into public space, I was thinking about what it could mean for queer people to happen upon acknowledgement of their own survival at the top of a long hike. I was thinking about queer immigrant children whose identities are rejected by homophobic parents and the complicated push and pull of duty and desire when you still love your family but also love yourself enough to know some identities run deeper than bone and cannot be unlearned. I was thinking about the dancers who lost their lives in the Pulse nightclub shooting, and all the queer bars and clubs across this world that have learned to operate underground. I was thinking about the late Chinese photographer Ren Hang, and queer and transgender warriors who were already living in a future so brilliant, this world was not ready for them. I was thinking about all the times where the violences of this world collapsed in on me and I too didn’t know how much longer I could stay in this world, but somehow, by touching myself, or making a piece of art, I rooted my body back into the Earth and found the resilience within me to live another morning.
Birthing queer poems and murals often feels akin to what I imagine it would be like to be a mother to queer children. I imagine bracing them for the violence of this society, preparing them for a never-ending war—where they will be bullied, forced into a closet, or pressured to camouflage with their heteronormative surroundings. Yet no violence or silencing will stop me from giving queer art the beautiful life and care that it deserves. Body bent over the wall, for once in my life, I was able to share the intimate experience of my survival in public space and make a poem out of it. These words were sacred to me, and when they appeared as a monumental prayer, surrounded by the roaring Pacific, it felt as if there were not one but thousands of mornings left for me to live.
The erasure of the word “queer” and the painting of a penis on top of a queer woman’s art is a reflection of the patriarchal and homophobic world we live in. If queer survival and masturbation is so threatening to this society, then I suppose it must be some type of magic. If our words are to be feared, crossed out and set to fire, let them burn bright like a meteorite and blind those who cannot acknowledge the beauty of queer survival. What the homophobic and transphobic world doesn’t understand is that no matter how many times our identities are crossed out, there is an impenetrable home within our bodies, which we can always return to.
This resilience is ancestral. Like the genderless leopard slugs that hang upside down from trees and mutually penetrate, or polyamorous lesbian bonobo monkeys who resolve conflict through sex, queerness and sexual diversity has existed since the dawning of life on Earth. Geox U Lord V - Tumbled Leather, Men's Mocassins
I will continue to put queer joy and self-love into public space regardless of those it provokes because I believe in a queer future. I believe in a world where young queers can finally be affirmed by their own secrets on the streets and at the tops of buildings—whether they are just coming out, or have long celebrated their queer crushes, or are learning the beauty of self-pleasure for the first time. We have been invisibilized, burned, and marginalized long enough. Most importantly, I believe the truths that keep us living and in love must be made public.
Note: Thank you to queer multi-disciplinary artist, Pikolinos Men's Santiago M7b Derbys and Hawaiian artist Ittai Wong for making this piece possible and uplifting me and the beautiful communities that surround you. A few of the themes brought up in this article came from Reebok Mens Cl Leather Nm by Greta Gard.
Thank you Ocean Vuong, and his poem Cycling shoes for men and women, Leisure Non-slip wear Non-lock Assisting cycling shoes, Outdoor cycling couple sneakers Mountain Road Bike for giving me the courage to bring these thoughts to poetry. Thank you Dr. Martens Unisex Adults' Remi Thong Flip Flops for giving me the courage to bring my poetry to the streets.
Thank you Ren Hang (March 30, 1987-February 24, 2017) wherever you are, I hope there is no censorship, or borders, only joy.
Photos by Chad Shomura, Ren Hang, and Ittai Wong