If you thought, “Hmm, Vandalog doesn’t seem to be updating as much” throughout 2017… Here’s why: We were focused on XJTNLB Retro Embroidered Handbag, Evening Bag, Polyester Embroidered Evening Bag, a 52-week campaign of ad takeovers across New York City! We worked with Faust, Shepard Fairey, Molly Crabapple, Jess X Snow, and dozens more artists to install their work in NYC payphones.
Now that the campaign has been going for a year, we’re ready to celebrate!
On January 26th, find us at LUCAS LUCAS in Williamsburg for an Art in Ad Places exhibition, and the launch of a book celebrating all of our ad takeovers to date. We’ll have photos from Luna Park, books, a special installation with the help of fellow ad takeover activist Jordan Seiler, and drinks from CERLYRUAN colorful Skull 3-D Flywire Technology Upper EVA Sole Running shoes for Women. We open at 7pm.
And if you can’t make it to the opening, the show will be open through February 3rd.
- - Hogan Men's HXM4430BR10KLA0001 White Leather Sneakers
- Dockers by Gerli Women's 42fy201-700620 Trainers, 8
- Woman Summer shoes Sandals Women Ankle Strap Sandals Ladies Heels Sandals Cork Block Heels
- Minnetonka Women's Cally Lined Slipper Moccasins Navy 11 US
- Cole Haan Studio Grand Trainer Sneakers
- Jocbinltd Women shoes Rivets Flats Pointed Toe Ladies shoes Slip On Flat Heels Casual shoes Summer Women shoes White
- Mojo Moxy Women's Lucy Dress Pump
- ERSER Cute Penguins Trail Running shoes Women Stability
- Carlington JEVITA Ankle Boots Boots Men Brown Mid Boots
- Ridge Footwear Ghost Zipper Steel Toe Multi shoes
- MINIVOG Women's Pumps High Heel Evening Party Wedding Dress Basic shoes
- Coconuts Womens Essence Open Toe Casual Strappy Sandals
- ISNOM STYLE AGIT Fashion Women Over The Knee Boots Spike high Heels Winter Boot Zip Pointed Toe Woman shoes
- Seychelles Womens to Do List
- H By Hudson Mens Adlington Formal Office Ankle Cow Suede Chelsea Boots
- Spring and Autumn high to Help Outdoor Camouflage Hiking shoes Waterproof Non-Slip Safety Predection Sports shoes Men Warm Walking shoes Large Size,44
- Women's Spiky Peep-Toe Fashion Sandals Party Wedding Dress Up Girl High Heels
- Nike Men's Air Force 1 07 Indigo Ankle-High Cotton Fashion Sneaker
- BCBGeneration Womens Millbrook Suede Pointed Toe Casual Platform Sandals
- ZPFDY Men Youth Business Casual Fashion Korean Laces Leather shoes
- Black Comfy Moda Women's Winter Boots Full Faux Fur Lining Fashion Winter White Horse
- Majestic Collection Men's shoes Majestic Double Zipper Moc Toe Boot Faux Burnish Leather
- Men's Beach Sandals Non-slip Cozy Leisure Flip flops Lightweight Breathable Convenient Flip Swimming pool shoes
- Garmont Damen Dragontail Lt Schuhe Wanderschuhe Trekkingschuhe Neu
- LI-NING Sonic Ⅶ Series CJ McCollum Men Professional Basketball shoes Lining Mono Yarn Cushioning TPU Wearable Sport shoes for Male ABAP019 ABPP029
- ZooShoo Pixie Kitten Heel, White PU, 5.5 B(M) US
- Women High Heels Platform shoes Bow Peep Toe Pumps Sexy High Heel Party shoes Silver Size 33-43
- Women Casual shoes Lace-Up Canvas Knee High Boots
- SaraIris Women's Round Toe Chunky High Heels Platform Zipper Rhinestone Ankle Boots
- Reinhar Prevailingshoes Unisex led Glow shoes Men & Women USB Rechargeable Light led shoes for Adults led shoes
- Spring Step Women's Estella Sandals color bluee Leather Sandals
- Women's shoes PU Spring Summer Light Soles Sandals Wedge Heel Rounded Toe Booties Ankle Boots Beading for Outdoor Dress
- Trendy-Nicer Women High Heel Sandals Real Leather Ankle Strap Open Toe Sandals Woman shoes Size 33-40
- Women's Sandals - Sexy Cross Braided with Pointed high Heel Stiletto shoes
- Calpas Barefoot Lace Ups, Toe Ring Stylish Anklet Sandals, Tie up, Wrap up Sandals - Pearl Black
- Adidas Hoops Mid Trainers Men's shoes US 12 Black
- Bernardo Womens Ora Loafer Flat
- CT-Tebrun Men's Fashion Sneakers Ultra Lightweight Breathable Mesh Running shoes Casual Walking Gym shoes
- Webb Perkin Women High Heel Pointed Toe Zipper Sexy shoes Black Thigh High Boots Winter Lady Over-The-Knee Boots
- Vince Camuto Women's Keannie Black M
- Art Womens 0516 Oslo Leather Boots
- ZHRUI Men Casual shoes Fashion Leather shoes Summer Flat shoes Driving shoes Jogging Sneakers (color bluee, Size 12=47 EU)
- Bugatti Men's 311487801200 Flip Flops
- Nike Men's Lunar Vapor Ultrafly Elite Metal Baseball Cleats
- Easy Go Shopping Oxford shoes For Men Outdoor Loafer Lace Up OX Leather Light And Flexible Collision-resistant Toe Cricket shoes (color Khaki, Size 7.5 UK)
- Brown ZyuQ Ankle boots Autumn Tooling shoes Men'S Men'S shoes Martin Boots Low To Help Casual shoes Thickening shoes
- Black Neon Lime Asics Men's Gel-Nimbus 20 Running shoe
- Soulength Summer Sandals for Women Bling Bling colorful Rhinestone Woman Sandals Crystal Female Single shoes Party
- Gjsonmv Walpurgis Night Witches Flying Vector White mesh Lightweight shoes for Women Casual Sports Driving Sneakers shoes
- Winter Boots Boots and high-Heeled Boots Matte Size
- AllhqFashion Women's Round Closed Toe High-Heels Soft Material Solid Zipper Pumps-shoes
- CN-Porter Unisex Womens Men's Breathable Mesh Sandals,Garden Clog shoes,Beach Footwear,Anti-Slip,Water shoes
- Acorn Women's Suede Spa Thong Slipper
- GOBY Women's shoes 'Polka Dot Espadrille Ballerina Flats' Textile FBR1184
- Woman colorful Cool Cute Dog Stickers Jogger Casual Running shoes
In 2017, I curated the We The People series for AmoonyFashion Women's Pu Zipper Mid-Top High-Heels Solid Boots with Charms, White-Zippers, 32, a series of six murals by some of my favorite artists. I probably should have been writing about We The People on here regularly since July, but here’s a very belated update from Philly.
Before we get into We the People, a bit of context. The last year has seen the floodgates open in the USA, with national conversations on crises that have been festering under-reported for years, like sexual harassment and racism. The arts community has added their voices to the mix through projects like the AmoonyFashion Women's Hook-and-Loop Cow Leather Pointed-Toe Kitten-Heels Sandals, AmoonyFashion Women's Frosted Solid Buckle Peep Toe High-Heels Sandals, and the Whitney’s An Incomplete History of Protest.
This moment demands urgent public art. And muralists have responded. In at least one case, an artist was censored after-the-fact and had to make things work AmoonyFashion Women's Low-Heels Patent Leather Assorted color Buckle Open Toe Sandals. But some mural festivals have embraced a spirit of activism, most notably AmoonyFashion Women's Pull On Pointed Closed Toe Kitten Heels Mixed Material Pumps shoes in Rochester, NY and AmoonyFashion Women's Closed-Toe Round-Toe Low-Heels Boots in Atlanta, GA.
It’s in a similar spirit to all of those projects that we tried a little experiment in Philadelphia with We The People. When Mural Arts invited me to curate a series of walls for them, I figured it had to be of the moment, and with artists that they weren’t already doing a lot of work with. So we invited AmoonyFashion Womens Pointed Closed Toe Low heels Synthetic Rubber Solid Boots with Metalornament, Brown, 7.5 B(M) US, Chris “Daze” Ellis, WeenFashion Women's Round Closed Toe High-Heels Soft Material Low-top Solid Boots, Dennis McNett, NTEL, and Jess X. Snow to create work celebrating the best of the American spirit right now, while also reflecting current national concerns. Plus, it was a continuation of Mural Arts’ years-long effort to work with more street artists. There was little community engagement beyond what I and the project manager did while hunting for walls, but I think that by being careful about sites, artists, and content, we brought to life some strong, timely, and site-responsive work.
Let’s start off 2018 on the right foot. Here’s a suggestion from WeenFashion Women's High Heels Soft Material High Top Solid Pull On Boots.
Photo by Uncle Susan
Our friend Doug Gillen at NOMIMAS Women's Mid-Calf Boots Sexy Pointed Toe Elastic Female Elegant High Heels Short Fashion shoes just posted a video commentary on WeenFashion Women's Low Top Pull On Frosted Low Heels Round Closed Toe Boots visit to Palestine, part of a residency at Women's shoes PU Spring Summer Comfort Sandals Walking shoes Flat Heel for Casual Outdoor Office & Career Dress DC Womens Bolsa Womens Le Slide Sandal. Doug echos this (somewhat flawed but worth reading) piece from Isaac Brosilow, INblue Flatform Slide Womens Silver Faux Leather Sandal. I’ve written very positively about Lush in the past, we released a product of his through Vandalog, and he even contributed to the site once upon a time. But I gotta agree with Doug on this one… Lush has gone off the deep end, and something doesn’t feel quite right here, to say the least.
Photo from Lush’s Twitter
The word sideshow comes up several times in conversation when discussing the traveling installation centered on Andrew H. Shirley’s Wastedland 2 film. The touring exhibition is as much of a whirlwind as the artist himself, connecting collaborators from across the country in an ever-evolving project.
While the upcoming screening of Wastedland 2 this Friday at Joules Womens Popons Rain Boot is the first screening with an emphasis on audience participation through costumes, the film had previously shown in New York City at the Knockdown Center. At this venue, from the moment I stepped into the installation it felt like a family reunion, a theme that is echoed throughout the film. It was a feeling I couldn’t quite put my finger on, and decided it was probably all the personal connections I had with the people and left it at that. However, when I went to interview Andrew, I had to ask if he could illuminate why even people I knew who were not personally familiar with the crews involved still came away with this sense of kinship. Shirley explained, “In many ways Wastedland 2 created not only a new platform of film exhibition, but perhaps exemplified the idea of collaborative action and support from a community that is sometimes over looked as far as how genuinely loyal and generous they are. The graffiti community not only looks out for each other, but they are a family that looks out for people in need- in many ways.” From assisting in the entry of buildings to a floor to call a safe home for the night, the filmmaker was quick to name all of the people and places who helped him out. It may not have been a direct connection, but maybe a friend of a friend, because as he stated they are the family that always looks out for one another.
Beyond these overarching themes, I was curious about how the process varied city to city, having only attended the Knockdown Center screening myself. T-JULY Women Spring Summer Design Wedges Red Black Platform Sneakers Female Casual Air Mesh shoes
Obviously, that headline is misleading. And the above video is pretty messed up. But it’s pretty messed up inside the heads of Alex Jones’ viewers! Which brings us to… Inside the Crisis Actors Studio, hosted by James Lipton, a show based on things that far right conspiracy theorists actually believe. Admittedly, this is maybe an odd thing for me to post about, but I’ve been thinking about Inside the Crisis Actors Studio all week. Plus, although the video’s creators have chosen to remain anonymous, at least one of them has been covered on Vandalog before, and they’d be familiar to the street art/activism community.
No doubt that Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is disturbing. Four actors who were due to audition declined after reading the script. But it’s also rooted in a kind of truth, the truth that some people actually believe this stuff. The references that Lipton and “crisis actor” Mark Hannigan make are based on conspiracies that people Alex Jones and his fans actually subscribe to. Yes, seriously. If you’ve never before heard of the concept of a crisis actor, consider yourself lucky, but sheltered. Realizing that these conspiracies are out there starts to explain a little of why gun control is so difficult. Plus, it’s got me thinking about the media that I consume and the bubbles of odd beliefs and consumption that we all fall into. Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is some necessary but dark (very dark) comedy. Hopefully, more episodes are forthcoming.
Who doesn’t love popsicles? You? If you don’t love popsicles, maybe you work at JCDecaux (and even if you do work at JCDecaux and claim they aren’t your thing… we all know you still love popsicles).
Well, I love popsicles, and it seems that my friend Vlady is also a normal popsicle-loving person. For JCDecaux Ice Lolly, he covered up a series of JCDecaux’s ad spaces in Turku, Finland. This particular kind of outdoor ad, where the ad just pops up out of the ground, unattached to a pay phone, bus shelter, or any other public amenity, is sometimes referred to as a lollipop, for obvious reasons. So, Vlady took the hint and turned all of these annoying lollipop ad kiosks into summer treats.
It’s a wonderfully simple intervention, one that doesn’t even require a key to open to ad kiosks, since Vlady just paints right over them. I’ve been thinking about how New Yorkers could do something similar with the LinkNYC towers that have been popping up everywhere… Maybe white sheets that turn the towers into ghosts for Halloween? But the popsicle idea is just perfect. Turn something hated into something everyone can enjoy.
Here’s one more:
Thanks Vlady! This series really made my day. Certainly the best street art I’ve seen all week (although Banksy at the Barbican is pretty great too), and something that anyone who feels inspired can replicate or adapt to their own environment.
To my readers: enjoy the last bits of summer. And remember: There’s no better way to enjoy the nice weather than a bit of vandalism for the public good!
Photos by Vlady
Escif and Fancyww Women's Genuine Leather Lace Up Desert Boots just wrapped up two murals each at WeenFashion Womens Closed Round Toe Low Heel PU Short Plush Soft Material Solid Boots, Black, 7.5 B(M) US, a self-managed neighborhood in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain that’s been around since 2013. The Errekaleor community is currently fighting against eviction, and has transitioned to renewable energy via solar panels after the city cut them off from the grid.
I’m not usually one for glow-in-the-dark murals, but I love this one from Escif. On his blog, Escif wrote (translated here by Google and me), “The city cut the light without thinking that night belongs to the residents, and they were given, unknowingly, the possibility of making the darkness a little clearer. They say cats can see at night. So we painted the eyes of this great black cat with fluorescent paint so that he too can be self-sufficient.”
And this Blu mural is an instant classic, and hopefully an inspiration to the residents of Errekaleor who are resisting eviction and development.
Best of luck to the residents of Errekaleor as they continue their fight.
Photos from Escif and Blu
Been slow on updating Vandalog lately, and I’m realizing it’s because I’ve spent so much of this year focused on curating and project management, and that’s meant that writing has taken a backseat. Still, sometimes I come across something great that doesn’t need much additional commentary.
Today, that was this piece by Men and Women Leopard Canvas shoes Spring Korean Version of The Wild Student shoes high Help (color A, Size 35) and Pleaser Womens ALLURE-608R C M Sandals, which you can find in Potenza, Italy. Aliens are welcome became immigrants are welcome. Aliens are welcome because sometimes it feels like my country is so messed up right now that it couldn’t possibly get any worse with aliens in charge (although I guess that’s the sort of logic that got us into this mess…). Aliens are welcome because if you’re gonna write something on a wall, it might as well be a greeting to a stranger. Aliens are welcome because why not.
Photo courtesy of Rub Kandy
Women Fashion Nightclub Over The Knee Boots 2018 Winter Platform Super High Heel Knight Boots Size 33-46,Black,36 (Carolyn Jones Women Low Top Canvas shoes Classic Female Flower Pattern Vulcanized Sneakers Hb0031Ap 11), the author of this post, is a queer Asian public artist, filmmaker and poet.
The moment I walked away from painting this piece, I knew it was going to be defaced. I just didn’t know how soon. I made this piece as a prayer to the queer body—in a world where LGBTQ people are thrown into the margins. When home does not exist for us in this world, where can we discover home other than within the beauty of our own bodies? Sometimes that home-making looks like masturbation. This piece, resting at the top of the Lanikai Pillbox Hike in Kailua, Hawaii, lasted barely two days before the word “queer” was crossed out, and a penis was spray painted between the hands. This leaves me wondering: is queer street art/graffiti perpetually destined to be short-lived? What does that have to say about the safety of queer people of color in America and the world?
When queer people of color have no safe havens, religions, or churches in this society, we must turn to our own bodies for safety. In the same way a lover’s touch across a chest can calm the fiercest of storms, when I touch myself, I become my own queer lover. For one moment, all the forces that marginalize me cease to exist.
When I wrote this poem and birthed it into public space, I was thinking about what it could mean for queer people to happen upon acknowledgement of their own survival at the top of a long hike. I was thinking about queer immigrant children whose identities are rejected by homophobic parents and the complicated push and pull of duty and desire when you still love your family but also love yourself enough to know some identities run deeper than bone and cannot be unlearned. I was thinking about the dancers who lost their lives in the Pulse nightclub shooting, and all the queer bars and clubs across this world that have learned to operate underground. I was thinking about the late Chinese photographer Ren Hang, and queer and transgender warriors who were already living in a future so brilliant, this world was not ready for them. I was thinking about all the times where the violences of this world collapsed in on me and I too didn’t know how much longer I could stay in this world, but somehow, by touching myself, or making a piece of art, I rooted my body back into the Earth and found the resilience within me to live another morning.
Birthing queer poems and murals often feels akin to what I imagine it would be like to be a mother to queer children. I imagine bracing them for the violence of this society, preparing them for a never-ending war—where they will be bullied, forced into a closet, or pressured to camouflage with their heteronormative surroundings. Yet no violence or silencing will stop me from giving queer art the beautiful life and care that it deserves. Body bent over the wall, for once in my life, I was able to share the intimate experience of my survival in public space and make a poem out of it. These words were sacred to me, and when they appeared as a monumental prayer, surrounded by the roaring Pacific, it felt as if there were not one but thousands of mornings left for me to live.
The erasure of the word “queer” and the painting of a penis on top of a queer woman’s art is a reflection of the patriarchal and homophobic world we live in. If queer survival and masturbation is so threatening to this society, then I suppose it must be some type of magic. If our words are to be feared, crossed out and set to fire, let them burn bright like a meteorite and blind those who cannot acknowledge the beauty of queer survival. What the homophobic and transphobic world doesn’t understand is that no matter how many times our identities are crossed out, there is an impenetrable home within our bodies, which we can always return to.
This resilience is ancestral. Like the genderless leopard slugs that hang upside down from trees and mutually penetrate, or polyamorous lesbian bonobo monkeys who resolve conflict through sex, queerness and sexual diversity has existed since the dawning of life on Earth. AllhqFashion Women's Solid High-Heels Closed Round Toe PU Zipper Boots
I will continue to put queer joy and self-love into public space regardless of those it provokes because I believe in a queer future. I believe in a world where young queers can finally be affirmed by their own secrets on the streets and at the tops of buildings—whether they are just coming out, or have long celebrated their queer crushes, or are learning the beauty of self-pleasure for the first time. We have been invisibilized, burned, and marginalized long enough. Most importantly, I believe the truths that keep us living and in love must be made public.
Note: Thank you to queer multi-disciplinary artist, HEETIST Women's Hannoy Floral Embroidered Mules with Buckle Slip On Slippers and Hawaiian artist Ittai Wong for making this piece possible and uplifting me and the beautiful communities that surround you. A few of the themes brought up in this article came from HEETIST Women's Velvet Backless Slip On Loafers Pointed Toe Flat Mule Slides shoes by Greta Gard.
Thank you Ocean Vuong, and his poem Fanyuan Classy Ladies Wedges Sandals Open Toe Women39;S Platform Sandals for giving me the courage to bring these thoughts to poetry. Thank you Ghapwe Women's Stylish Sequined Ankle Strap Sandals - Closed Square Toe Solid color - Buckle Block Medium Heel Bridal shoes gold 7 M US for giving me the courage to bring my poetry to the streets.
Thank you Ren Hang (March 30, 1987-February 24, 2017) wherever you are, I hope there is no censorship, or borders, only joy.
Photos by Chad Shomura, Ren Hang, and Ittai Wong