If you thought, “Hmm, Vandalog doesn’t seem to be updating as much” throughout 2017… Here’s why: We were focused on Karhu Synchron Classic Sneaker Green F802513, a 52-week campaign of ad takeovers across New York City! We worked with Faust, Shepard Fairey, Molly Crabapple, Jess X Snow, and dozens more artists to install their work in NYC payphones.
Now that the campaign has been going for a year, we’re ready to celebrate!
On January 26th, find us at LUCAS LUCAS in Williamsburg for an Art in Ad Places exhibition, and the launch of a book celebrating all of our ad takeovers to date. We’ll have photos from Luna Park, books, a special installation with the help of fellow ad takeover activist Jordan Seiler, and drinks from Men's shoes Feifei Spring and Autumn Comfortable Breathable Damping Sports shoes 3 colors (Size Multiple Choice). We open at 7pm.
And if you can’t make it to the opening, the show will be open through February 3rd.
- - PARIS TEXAS Women's PX56LEO Brown Leather Heels
- Yudesun Nurse shoes Leather Loafers Women - Ladies Moccasins Platform Wedge Heel Flats Comfort Casual Work Professional Driving Boat shoes Pumps
- Bon Soir Mule Slippers for Women,Womens Rhinestones Flat Sandals Pointed Toe Jeweled Embellishment Slides Sandals
- TOGIC Elegant Comfortable Women's High-Heels Soft Material Solid Buckle Round Closed Toe Sandals
- MOREMOO Ladies Canvas shoes Fashion Casual shoes Light Ladies Casual shoes Walking shoes
- Womens Mid Calf Boots Two Tone Platform Sexy High Heels Brown
- U-MAC Women Wedges Sneakers Vulcanize Waliking Wear for Hidden Increase Heel Female Canvas White shoes for Ladies
- T-JULY Women's Ballet Flats Classic Round Toe Comfort Slip On Dress shoes
- HYZSX Rain Boots, Waterproof Rubber Ladies Fashion Non-Slip Work Boots Rain Boots Rain Boots
- Skechers for Work Men's Hobby Lace Up Athletic
- T-JULY Women Patchwork Sneakers Girls Increase Breathable Casual shoes
- FAT SHEEP-Sandals New Water Table Lace Diamond Heels White Wedding Dress shoes Stiletto Heel Height 12 cm Elegant Big
- Nine West Womens Devar Fabric Dress Sandal
- PUMA Mens El Ace Textured Walking shoes
- Clarks Men's Tilden Plain Oxford,
- PUMA Alee Gore Tex Mens Performance Sailing Boots
- PUMA Unisex Adults' Sf Drift Cat 7 Ultra Low-Top Sneakers
- Peppeshoes Modello Kamon - Handmade Italian Leather Mens color Black High Boots - Cowhide Smooth Leather - Lace-Up
- Slippers for Men Casual Sandals Slip On Style PU Patent Leather Half A Towed shoes Virgin Colours with Tassel Decor Casual shoes
- LOVDRAM Boots Men's Autumn High shoes Men'S Cotton Retro Martin Boots Men'S shoes Carved In The Casual shoes Short Boots Men'S shoes
- Black JOYBI Women Platform Thick High Heels Slippers Sandals Slip On PU Soft Leather Summer Ladies Peep Toe Slides Sandal
- GIY Women's Summer Slide Sandals Open Toe Slip-on Casual Walking Wedges Platform Sandal Slippers
- Men's Leather shoes，Spring Fall Loafers & Slip-ONS Lazy shoes,Stylish Breathable Driving shoes Peas shoes Comfortable Walking shoes
- K-Swiss Rinzler SP Sneaker Navy 02283-915, shoes Size EUR 45
- Calden Men's Invisible Height Increasing Elevator shoes - bluee Leather Lace-up Lightweight Sport Sneakers - 4 Inches Taller - K3333
- Home Shower shoes, Massage Men's and Women's Beach Slippers Outdoor Student Sandals (color Green, Size 39eu)
- Nine West Women's Walburga Synthetic Ankle Boot
- Vimedea Womens Round Toe Cozy Thick Platform Party Elegant Wedding Party Pump 817-3YG
- WeenFashion Women's Low-top Solid Zipper Pointed Closed Toe Kitten-Heels Boots
- Womens Warm Short Boots Faux Suede Fringe Platform Round Toe Winter Snow Ankle Booties
- Black Boot Pointed Toe Women Thigh High Long shoes Back Lace Up Ladies Thick Heels Boots shoes
- Women's Suede Microfiber Fall Boots Stiletto Heel Closed Toe Knee High Boots,C,US8.5 EU39 UK6.5 CN40
- AmoonyFashion Women's Open-Toe Zipper Pu Assorted color Low-Heels Sandals, BUTLS007246
- FSJ Women Pointed Toe Strappy Dress Booties Stiletto High Heels Winter Ankle Boots with Buttons Size 4-15 US
- Vallegreen Classic Men's shoes 49881
- French Sole FS NY Womens Allure Moccasin
- Warwolf Work Mens shoes Steel Toe Cap Safety shoes Industrial and Construction shoes
- KENDALL + KYLIE Kendall and Kylie Juniper2 Silver Casual shoes
- Black Blingbling-honored High end Real Fox Fur Slipper Women Slides Sliders Fashion Spring Summer Autumn Fluffy Fur Lady S6018
- Brooks Men's Adrenaline GTS 19 D Width Running shoes (BRK-110294 1D 42477H0 14 (071) Black Ebony)
- Scarpa ZG Lite GTX Women
- Liuxc sports shoes Running shoes flying woven sports shoes men's casual running shoes men's youth high to help stretch men's comfortable casual shoes
- Reebok Men's Classic Nylon Mu Low-Top Sneakers
- SWIMS Men's Boat Loafers, Ultralight and Durable, Stylish and Classic Look in color Combos
- La portegna shoes Rodrigo Leather
- Nike Air Max Speed Turf
- WHW Women‘s Transparent Heel Wedges Heels Peep Toe Sandals Heels Outdoor Sandals,44,bluee
- Step n Style shoes 18 Womens Peacock Sandals Flats shoes Pakistani Indian Chappel
- Fairly Sexy High Heel Flower Ankle Strap Thin Heel Elegant Summer shoes,Green,5
- AllhqFashion Women's High Heels Solid Pull On Pointed Closed Toe Pumps-shoes
- OKS07-1 - Oklahoma State Cowboys - Small - Happy Feet Mens and Womens - NCAA Low Pro Slippers
- Labato Style Women's Floral Print Hollow Out Driving Loafers Leather Slip On Flat shoes
- Magtoe Women's Comfy Knit Washable Closed Toe Open Back Non-Slip Indoor Outdoor House Slippers
- Pic Pay Faye Women's Pumps - Block Heel Pump Black Patent PU 7.5M
- IWlxz Women's PVC(Polyvinyl Chloride) Summer Formal shoes Sandals Stiletto Heel Peep Toe Crystal Buckle Flower Fuchsia Red Pink Party & Evening Party & Evening
In 2017, I curated the We The People series for Joma Pro PN10S_901 Football Boots Dry Land Number 10 Black gold, a series of six murals by some of my favorite artists. I probably should have been writing about We The People on here regularly since July, but here’s a very belated update from Philly.
Before we get into We the People, a bit of context. The last year has seen the floodgates open in the USA, with national conversations on crises that have been festering under-reported for years, like sexual harassment and racism. The arts community has added their voices to the mix through projects like the ZHANG9 Men's Rome Beach Leather Opentoe Hand Made Flip Flops Outdoor Leisure, 43, WZG Winter men 's leather warm Mianxian warm cotton boots men' s cotton boots winter warm shoes casual shoes , brown , 39, and the Whitney’s An Incomplete History of Protest.
This moment demands urgent public art. And muralists have responded. In at least one case, an artist was censored after-the-fact and had to make things work LOVDRAM Men'S Leather shoes New Leather Men'S shoes With Pointed Men'S Business shoes Dress Size 464748. But some mural festivals have embraced a spirit of activism, most notably Severn super safety boot S3 (FA23500) in Rochester, NY and ZJEXJJ Men's sneakers breathable casual shoes mesh sneakers fashion men's running shoes (color Multi-colord, Size 5.5 UK) in Atlanta, GA.
It’s in a similar spirit to all of those projects that we tried a little experiment in Philadelphia with We The People. When Mural Arts invited me to curate a series of walls for them, I figured it had to be of the moment, and with artists that they weren’t already doing a lot of work with. So we invited Skechers for Work Men's Blais Steel-Toe Hiking shoes, Chris “Daze” Ellis, Summer thick slippers casual couple cool slippers beach shoes., Dennis McNett, NTEL, and Jess X. Snow to create work celebrating the best of the American spirit right now, while also reflecting current national concerns. Plus, it was a continuation of Mural Arts’ years-long effort to work with more street artists. There was little community engagement beyond what I and the project manager did while hunting for walls, but I think that by being careful about sites, artists, and content, we brought to life some strong, timely, and site-responsive work.
Let’s start off 2018 on the right foot. Here’s a suggestion from LOVDRAM Men'S Leather shoes Men Oxfords shoes Pointed Toe Leather Lace-Up Men Dress shoes Flats Black Fashion Nubuck Leather Wedding shoes.
Photo by Uncle Susan
Our friend Doug Gillen at Kenneth Cole Reaction Men's Design 20521 Oxford just posted a video commentary on New Balance MRL996 - MRL996DN visit to Palestine, part of a residency at LXMEI Men's shoes Leatherette Leather Spring Summer Loafers Casual shoes Outdoor Trend shoes Toni Pons Belle-PM - Women’s Flat Espadrille in Leather and Fabric.. Doug echos this (somewhat flawed but worth reading) piece from Isaac Brosilow, Nike Sf Af1 Air Force Mid GS Hi Top Trainers Aj0424 Sneakers shoes. I’ve written very positively about Lush in the past, we released a product of his through Vandalog, and he even contributed to the site once upon a time. But I gotta agree with Doug on this one… Lush has gone off the deep end, and something doesn’t feel quite right here, to say the least.
Photo from Lush’s Twitter
The word sideshow comes up several times in conversation when discussing the traveling installation centered on Andrew H. Shirley’s Wastedland 2 film. The touring exhibition is as much of a whirlwind as the artist himself, connecting collaborators from across the country in an ever-evolving project.
While the upcoming screening of Wastedland 2 this Friday at FuweiEncore Men's Rubber Sandal Slippers Summer Durable Beach Casual Flip Flops, Green, 43 (color Green, Size 41) is the first screening with an emphasis on audience participation through costumes, the film had previously shown in New York City at the Knockdown Center. At this venue, from the moment I stepped into the installation it felt like a family reunion, a theme that is echoed throughout the film. It was a feeling I couldn’t quite put my finger on, and decided it was probably all the personal connections I had with the people and left it at that. However, when I went to interview Andrew, I had to ask if he could illuminate why even people I knew who were not personally familiar with the crews involved still came away with this sense of kinship. Shirley explained, “In many ways Wastedland 2 created not only a new platform of film exhibition, but perhaps exemplified the idea of collaborative action and support from a community that is sometimes over looked as far as how genuinely loyal and generous they are. The graffiti community not only looks out for each other, but they are a family that looks out for people in need- in many ways.” From assisting in the entry of buildings to a floor to call a safe home for the night, the filmmaker was quick to name all of the people and places who helped him out. It may not have been a direct connection, but maybe a friend of a friend, because as he stated they are the family that always looks out for one another.
Beyond these overarching themes, I was curious about how the process varied city to city, having only attended the Knockdown Center screening myself. Adidas Combat Speed 4 IV Wrestling shoes Wrestling shoes Rings Size 48 UK 12,5 Black
Obviously, that headline is misleading. And the above video is pretty messed up. But it’s pretty messed up inside the heads of Alex Jones’ viewers! Which brings us to… Inside the Crisis Actors Studio, hosted by James Lipton, a show based on things that far right conspiracy theorists actually believe. Admittedly, this is maybe an odd thing for me to post about, but I’ve been thinking about Inside the Crisis Actors Studio all week. Plus, although the video’s creators have chosen to remain anonymous, at least one of them has been covered on Vandalog before, and they’d be familiar to the street art/activism community.
No doubt that Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is disturbing. Four actors who were due to audition declined after reading the script. But it’s also rooted in a kind of truth, the truth that some people actually believe this stuff. The references that Lipton and “crisis actor” Mark Hannigan make are based on conspiracies that people Alex Jones and his fans actually subscribe to. Yes, seriously. If you’ve never before heard of the concept of a crisis actor, consider yourself lucky, but sheltered. Realizing that these conspiracies are out there starts to explain a little of why gun control is so difficult. Plus, it’s got me thinking about the media that I consume and the bubbles of odd beliefs and consumption that we all fall into. Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is some necessary but dark (very dark) comedy. Hopefully, more episodes are forthcoming.
Who doesn’t love popsicles? You? If you don’t love popsicles, maybe you work at JCDecaux (and even if you do work at JCDecaux and claim they aren’t your thing… we all know you still love popsicles).
Well, I love popsicles, and it seems that my friend Vlady is also a normal popsicle-loving person. For JCDecaux Ice Lolly, he covered up a series of JCDecaux’s ad spaces in Turku, Finland. This particular kind of outdoor ad, where the ad just pops up out of the ground, unattached to a pay phone, bus shelter, or any other public amenity, is sometimes referred to as a lollipop, for obvious reasons. So, Vlady took the hint and turned all of these annoying lollipop ad kiosks into summer treats.
It’s a wonderfully simple intervention, one that doesn’t even require a key to open to ad kiosks, since Vlady just paints right over them. I’ve been thinking about how New Yorkers could do something similar with the LinkNYC towers that have been popping up everywhere… Maybe white sheets that turn the towers into ghosts for Halloween? But the popsicle idea is just perfect. Turn something hated into something everyone can enjoy.
Here’s one more:
Thanks Vlady! This series really made my day. Certainly the best street art I’ve seen all week (although Banksy at the Barbican is pretty great too), and something that anyone who feels inspired can replicate or adapt to their own environment.
To my readers: enjoy the last bits of summer. And remember: There’s no better way to enjoy the nice weather than a bit of vandalism for the public good!
Photos by Vlady
Escif and Lugz Men's Drifter Mid Steel Toe Fashion Boot just wrapped up two murals each at NANYDXIE Men's England Genuine Leather Sleeves Solid color Fashion Sneakers, a self-managed neighborhood in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain that’s been around since 2013. The Errekaleor community is currently fighting against eviction, and has transitioned to renewable energy via solar panels after the city cut them off from the grid.
I’m not usually one for glow-in-the-dark murals, but I love this one from Escif. On his blog, Escif wrote (translated here by Google and me), “The city cut the light without thinking that night belongs to the residents, and they were given, unknowingly, the possibility of making the darkness a little clearer. They say cats can see at night. So we painted the eyes of this great black cat with fluorescent paint so that he too can be self-sufficient.”
And this Blu mural is an instant classic, and hopefully an inspiration to the residents of Errekaleor who are resisting eviction and development.
You can DC shoes Men's Schuhe - Unilite Trainer TP - D0320099-BO1D - Black Trainers bluee bluee Black Size 6, and FFTX Mens Leather Package toe Sandals Non-slip Durable Velcro Summer Outdoor Walking Wading shoes.
Best of luck to the residents of Errekaleor as they continue their fight.
Photos from Escif and Blu
Been slow on updating Vandalog lately, and I’m realizing it’s because I’ve spent so much of this year focused on curating and project management, and that’s meant that writing has taken a backseat. Still, sometimes I come across something great that doesn’t need much additional commentary.
Today, that was this piece by Ruosh Men's Navy Loafers-9 UK India (43 EU)(AW18 Willy 01A) and Adidas Unisex Adults’ B74479 Fitness shoes, which you can find in Potenza, Italy. Aliens are welcome became immigrants are welcome. Aliens are welcome because sometimes it feels like my country is so messed up right now that it couldn’t possibly get any worse with aliens in charge (although I guess that’s the sort of logic that got us into this mess…). Aliens are welcome because if you’re gonna write something on a wall, it might as well be a greeting to a stranger. Aliens are welcome because why not.
Photo courtesy of Rub Kandy
Ass-Schuhfabriken, Seibel GmbH Men's 44703 869 330 Fashion Sandals (Adidas Men's Superstar Supercolo Trainers White White), the author of this post, is a queer Asian public artist, filmmaker and poet.
The moment I walked away from painting this piece, I knew it was going to be defaced. I just didn’t know how soon. I made this piece as a prayer to the queer body—in a world where LGBTQ people are thrown into the margins. When home does not exist for us in this world, where can we discover home other than within the beauty of our own bodies? Sometimes that home-making looks like masturbation. This piece, resting at the top of the Lanikai Pillbox Hike in Kailua, Hawaii, lasted barely two days before the word “queer” was crossed out, and a penis was spray painted between the hands. This leaves me wondering: is queer street art/graffiti perpetually destined to be short-lived? What does that have to say about the safety of queer people of color in America and the world?
When queer people of color have no safe havens, religions, or churches in this society, we must turn to our own bodies for safety. In the same way a lover’s touch across a chest can calm the fiercest of storms, when I touch myself, I become my own queer lover. For one moment, all the forces that marginalize me cease to exist.
When I wrote this poem and birthed it into public space, I was thinking about what it could mean for queer people to happen upon acknowledgement of their own survival at the top of a long hike. I was thinking about queer immigrant children whose identities are rejected by homophobic parents and the complicated push and pull of duty and desire when you still love your family but also love yourself enough to know some identities run deeper than bone and cannot be unlearned. I was thinking about the dancers who lost their lives in the Pulse nightclub shooting, and all the queer bars and clubs across this world that have learned to operate underground. I was thinking about the late Chinese photographer Ren Hang, and queer and transgender warriors who were already living in a future so brilliant, this world was not ready for them. I was thinking about all the times where the violences of this world collapsed in on me and I too didn’t know how much longer I could stay in this world, but somehow, by touching myself, or making a piece of art, I rooted my body back into the Earth and found the resilience within me to live another morning.
Birthing queer poems and murals often feels akin to what I imagine it would be like to be a mother to queer children. I imagine bracing them for the violence of this society, preparing them for a never-ending war—where they will be bullied, forced into a closet, or pressured to camouflage with their heteronormative surroundings. Yet no violence or silencing will stop me from giving queer art the beautiful life and care that it deserves. Body bent over the wall, for once in my life, I was able to share the intimate experience of my survival in public space and make a poem out of it. These words were sacred to me, and when they appeared as a monumental prayer, surrounded by the roaring Pacific, it felt as if there were not one but thousands of mornings left for me to live.
The erasure of the word “queer” and the painting of a penis on top of a queer woman’s art is a reflection of the patriarchal and homophobic world we live in. If queer survival and masturbation is so threatening to this society, then I suppose it must be some type of magic. If our words are to be feared, crossed out and set to fire, let them burn bright like a meteorite and blind those who cannot acknowledge the beauty of queer survival. What the homophobic and transphobic world doesn’t understand is that no matter how many times our identities are crossed out, there is an impenetrable home within our bodies, which we can always return to.
This resilience is ancestral. Like the genderless leopard slugs that hang upside down from trees and mutually penetrate, or polyamorous lesbian bonobo monkeys who resolve conflict through sex, queerness and sexual diversity has existed since the dawning of life on Earth. Sika Fusion Open Clog ESD with Strap Black
I will continue to put queer joy and self-love into public space regardless of those it provokes because I believe in a queer future. I believe in a world where young queers can finally be affirmed by their own secrets on the streets and at the tops of buildings—whether they are just coming out, or have long celebrated their queer crushes, or are learning the beauty of self-pleasure for the first time. We have been invisibilized, burned, and marginalized long enough. Most importantly, I believe the truths that keep us living and in love must be made public.
Note: Thank you to queer multi-disciplinary artist, JCB 44 Brown Safety Boot Size 13 and Hawaiian artist Ittai Wong for making this piece possible and uplifting me and the beautiful communities that surround you. A few of the themes brought up in this article came from Powerstep Men's Fusion Recovery Slides by Greta Gard.
Thank you Ocean Vuong, and his poem Y-H Men's Formal shoes,Retro Lace Up Formal Business shoes, Spring Fall Flat Comfort Driving shoes Cycling shoes,Black,42 for giving me the courage to bring these thoughts to poetry. Thank you Puma Men's Blaze Winter Tech Fashion Sneaker for giving me the courage to bring my poetry to the streets.
Thank you Ren Hang (March 30, 1987-February 24, 2017) wherever you are, I hope there is no censorship, or borders, only joy.
Photos by Chad Shomura, Ren Hang, and Ittai Wong