If you thought, “Hmm, Vandalog doesn’t seem to be updating as much” throughout 2017… Here’s why: We were focused on Maciejka Women Flat Slipper Metallic, (blue-Kombi) 2960A-06 00-5, a 52-week campaign of ad takeovers across New York City! We worked with Faust, Shepard Fairey, Molly Crabapple, Jess X Snow, and dozens more artists to install their work in NYC payphones.
Now that the campaign has been going for a year, we’re ready to celebrate!
On January 26th, find us at LUCAS LUCAS in Williamsburg for an Art in Ad Places exhibition, and the launch of a book celebrating all of our ad takeovers to date. We’ll have photos from Luna Park, books, a special installation with the help of fellow ad takeover activist Jordan Seiler, and drinks from Regarde le Ciel Women Ankle Boots Brown, (black) BRIGITTE-09 Black. We open at 7pm.
And if you can’t make it to the opening, the show will be open through February 3rd.
- YBeauty Women's Peep Toe Pumps Black Patent Leather Pumps Stiletto High Heels Big Size Slip On shoes
- Slip-ON Brown Carbon Toe ESD - Footwear Women's Footwear Women's Work Boots
- Kids' Jr. Hypervenom Phade III (FG) Firm-Ground Football Boot - Electric Green
- Nike Men's Air Visi Pro IV Basketball shoes
- Mustang Women Ankle Boots red, (red) 1134-602-5
- Walking Cradles Womens Jane Leather Leather Closed Toe Mary Jane Bone Size 8.5
- POPA Women's 1918120MULTI Multicolor Glitter Sandals
- Qiusa Formal Business Boots for Men Soft Sole Non Slip Durable Waterproof Boots (color Black, Size UK 9)
- Xxoshoe Mens Air Cushion Outdoor Sport Running shoes Lightweight Casual Sneakers Fashion running shoes
- Chatham Men's Gaff Ii G2 Boat shoes
- Adidas Men's Freak X Carbon Mid Baseball shoes, Maroon, Silver met, FTWR White, 15 M US
- Black Feetmat Women's Running shoes Lightweight Non Slip Breathable Mesh Sneakers Sports Athletic Walking shoes
- Skechers Men's Lifestyle 65455 Canvas Moc To Slip On, Khaki - 12
- IKH Retail INC Purse Red
- PVC Sandals Crystal Open Toed Sexy Thin Heels Crystal Women Transparent Heel Sandals Slippers Pumps
- BlingNicer Size 36-42 New Bohemian555 Women Sandals Gemstone Beaded Slippers Summer Beach Sandals Women Flip Flops Ladies Flat Sandals shoes
- Bon Soir Women's Platform Ankle Strap High Heel Open Toe Sandal Pump Formal Party Dress Heel
- My Little Nest Women's Top Handle Satchel Handbag Vintage Bird Butterfly Ladies PU Leather Shoulder Bag Crossbody Bag
- Hanglin Trade Women Pumps Breathable High Heels Sexy Pointed Toe Slip-on Wedding Dress shoes
- Cool Bamboo Anti-Fatigue Gel Slippers
- Men's shoes,new Summer Men Deck shoes,Academy Low-Top Small White shoes,Casual Slip On Loafers,lazy shoes
- Hoxekle Fur Boots Hidden Wedges Platform Snow Boots Woman Winter shoes Keep Warm Winter Boots Feathers
- Women's Booties, Pointed Stiletto Booties Autumn Winter European American Women's Boots High Heels Women's shoes Winter shoes (color A, Size 38)
- Pleaser Womens Ado1008sq S Sch Ankle Bootie
- Lugz Men's Convoy Fashion Boot
- Rieker 13753-45 Mens Grey Casual
- MUNICH Unisex Adults’ Sappgold Low-Top Sneakers Black
- Diba True Later On Women's Boot
- DI LUNA Women's C313NBLACK Black Suede Pumps
- Men's Business Oxford Casual British Fashion Comfortable Prints Brogue shoes Cricket shoes (color Yellow, Size 7.5 UK)
- Men'S Martin Boots Chelsea Boots Large Size Autumn And Winter Casual shoes Short Boots Outdoor Desert Boots Fashion Ankle Boots
- Pink goldsmyth Summer Woman Crystal Low Square Heels Slippers Genuine Leather shoes Woman Sandals Open Toe shoes
- LIHUIYUN shoes Fashion Delicate Sweet Bowknot high Heel shoes Side Hollow Pointed Stiletto Heels shoes Women Pumps
- KemeKiss Women Solid Boots Zipper
- Kanf saysfg Playing Cats Fashion Running Sneakers for Women Lightweight Breathabl Athletic shoes
- Adidas Ace 16.1 Primeknit FG Football Boots
- Converse Men's Jp Signature Ox Cotton Sneakers, Black, Size UK 10
- Geox Men's High Life 9 Dress shoes Oxford
- QIUHUAXIANG Mules shoes Women Slippers Casual Pointed Toe Buckles Flat shoes Outside Slides Beach Flip Flop
- Keds Womens Midtown Suede WX Sneakers
- AllhqFashion Women's Solid Imitated Suede High-Heels Zipper Closed Round Toe Boots
- gold Pigeon shoes Party Party 2825LEDSS Comfort Evening Dress Pump Sandals, Women Ballroom Dance shoes (2.75 , 3 & 3.5 High Heels)
- Natural World Women's Ingles Yute Flat
- WeiPoot Women's Buckle Kitten-Heels Pu Solid Open-Toe Sandals, EGHLH007204
- MET RXL Spring and Autumn,Splice,Casual shoes Lady,Rivet,Nude shoes
- ZETA SHOES Winter Riding Boot Black Leather Platform Heeled Boots MainApps
- Charles by Charles David Women's Addie
- Mens Sandals, Men's Genuine Cowhide Leather Beach Slippers Casual Non-Slip Sandals shoes with Crocodile Texture,Perfect for The Beach or Any Outdoor Scene. (color Brown, Size 11.5MUS)
- Ahico Men's Running shoes - Air Cushion Fashion Breathable Lightweight Man Sneakers Cross Training Athletic Walking shoes Mans bluee Size 7
- Nikolas Men's Calf Leather Low Boots shoes
- Cole Haan Lunar Coos Woven Oxford shoes C09720 Bourbon
- ZHRUI Men Hollow Out Oxfords Formal shoes Mens Leather Wedding shoes (color Brown Hollow, Size 9=43 EU)
- Yydt Men's shoes Outdoor Sports Thick-Soled Wear Men's Beach shoes, Sandals, Flip-Flops, Sandals, Non-Slip Slippers Men's shoes (color 5.5 UK)
- [email protected] boots leather casual fashion comfortable warm shoes Martin boots
- LOVDRAM Boots Men's Martin Boots Men'S Leather Boots Autumn And Winter Men'S shoes Fashion Black shoes Wild Fashion
In 2017, I curated the We The People series for Bugatti Women Ankle Boots Brown, (Taupe Multicolour) 421330301015-1481, a series of six murals by some of my favorite artists. I probably should have been writing about We The People on here regularly since July, but here’s a very belated update from Philly.
Before we get into We the People, a bit of context. The last year has seen the floodgates open in the USA, with national conversations on crises that have been festering under-reported for years, like sexual harassment and racism. The arts community has added their voices to the mix through projects like the Gerry Weber Women Pumps black, (cognac) G1301090 370, Legero Women Ankle Boots Black, (black) 8-00574-00, and the Whitney’s An Incomplete History of Protest.
This moment demands urgent public art. And muralists have responded. In at least one case, an artist was censored after-the-fact and had to make things work Puma Men's Clyde Sock Solar Fm High-Top Fashion Sneaker. But some mural festivals have embraced a spirit of activism, most notably Jileon Half Height Rain Boots for Women - Wide in The Foot and Ankle - Durable All Weather Boots in Rochester, NY and Women Peep Toe Pump Summer Ankle Strap Sandals Printing Lace gold Velvet Sheepskin D'orsay Luxury Sandals in Atlanta, GA.
It’s in a similar spirit to all of those projects that we tried a little experiment in Philadelphia with We The People. When Mural Arts invited me to curate a series of walls for them, I figured it had to be of the moment, and with artists that they weren’t already doing a lot of work with. So we invited Florsheim Mens Streets Wingtip Leather Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Chris “Daze” Ellis, Ghssheh Genuine Leather Large Size 34-43 Zip Up Chunky Heels Cow Leather Boots Women shoes Woman Mid Calf Boots White 5 M US, Dennis McNett, NTEL, and Jess X. Snow to create work celebrating the best of the American spirit right now, while also reflecting current national concerns. Plus, it was a continuation of Mural Arts’ years-long effort to work with more street artists. There was little community engagement beyond what I and the project manager did while hunting for walls, but I think that by being careful about sites, artists, and content, we brought to life some strong, timely, and site-responsive work.
Let’s start off 2018 on the right foot. Here’s a suggestion from ASICS Tiger Men Gel-Lyte V (Black tie dye Grey) Size 6.5 US.
Photo by Uncle Susan
Our friend Doug Gillen at Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Rollins Ankle Bootie just posted a video commentary on Women's High Boots Fall Winter New Pointed shoes Stiletto Heel Long Boots Ladies Leather Fashion Boots (color B, Size 34) visit to Palestine, part of a residency at Donald J Pliner Men's Igor 2 Nine Seven Genuine Leather Women's Pointy Toe Sexy Stiletto Heel Handmade Knee High Boot. Doug echos this (somewhat flawed but worth reading) piece from Isaac Brosilow, Nine Seven Genuine Leather Women's Square Toe Chunky Mid Heel Side Zip Handmade Lace Up Design Comfort Dress Ankle Boots. I’ve written very positively about Lush in the past, we released a product of his through Vandalog, and he even contributed to the site once upon a time. But I gotta agree with Doug on this one… Lush has gone off the deep end, and something doesn’t feel quite right here, to say the least.
Photo from Lush’s Twitter
The word sideshow comes up several times in conversation when discussing the traveling installation centered on Andrew H. Shirley’s Wastedland 2 film. The touring exhibition is as much of a whirlwind as the artist himself, connecting collaborators from across the country in an ever-evolving project.
While the upcoming screening of Wastedland 2 this Friday at Nike Jordan Delta Speed Tr AJ7984-002 Textile Synthetic Mens Trainers - Black Anthracite - 42 is the first screening with an emphasis on audience participation through costumes, the film had previously shown in New York City at the Knockdown Center. At this venue, from the moment I stepped into the installation it felt like a family reunion, a theme that is echoed throughout the film. It was a feeling I couldn’t quite put my finger on, and decided it was probably all the personal connections I had with the people and left it at that. However, when I went to interview Andrew, I had to ask if he could illuminate why even people I knew who were not personally familiar with the crews involved still came away with this sense of kinship. Shirley explained, “In many ways Wastedland 2 created not only a new platform of film exhibition, but perhaps exemplified the idea of collaborative action and support from a community that is sometimes over looked as far as how genuinely loyal and generous they are. The graffiti community not only looks out for each other, but they are a family that looks out for people in need- in many ways.” From assisting in the entry of buildings to a floor to call a safe home for the night, the filmmaker was quick to name all of the people and places who helped him out. It may not have been a direct connection, but maybe a friend of a friend, because as he stated they are the family that always looks out for one another.
Beyond these overarching themes, I was curious about how the process varied city to city, having only attended the Knockdown Center screening myself. JUNBOSI Men's High-end Leather shoes Business Europe and The United States is Installed The First Layer of Leather shoes Party Men's shoes, 4 Seasons Size 6-12 (color Burgundy, Size 39)
Obviously, that headline is misleading. And the above video is pretty messed up. But it’s pretty messed up inside the heads of Alex Jones’ viewers! Which brings us to… Inside the Crisis Actors Studio, hosted by James Lipton, a show based on things that far right conspiracy theorists actually believe. Admittedly, this is maybe an odd thing for me to post about, but I’ve been thinking about Inside the Crisis Actors Studio all week. Plus, although the video’s creators have chosen to remain anonymous, at least one of them has been covered on Vandalog before, and they’d be familiar to the street art/activism community.
No doubt that Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is disturbing. Four actors who were due to audition declined after reading the script. But it’s also rooted in a kind of truth, the truth that some people actually believe this stuff. The references that Lipton and “crisis actor” Mark Hannigan make are based on conspiracies that people Alex Jones and his fans actually subscribe to. Yes, seriously. If you’ve never before heard of the concept of a crisis actor, consider yourself lucky, but sheltered. Realizing that these conspiracies are out there starts to explain a little of why gun control is so difficult. Plus, it’s got me thinking about the media that I consume and the bubbles of odd beliefs and consumption that we all fall into. Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is some necessary but dark (very dark) comedy. Hopefully, more episodes are forthcoming.
Who doesn’t love popsicles? You? If you don’t love popsicles, maybe you work at JCDecaux (and even if you do work at JCDecaux and claim they aren’t your thing… we all know you still love popsicles).
Well, I love popsicles, and it seems that my friend Vlady is also a normal popsicle-loving person. For JCDecaux Ice Lolly, he covered up a series of JCDecaux’s ad spaces in Turku, Finland. This particular kind of outdoor ad, where the ad just pops up out of the ground, unattached to a pay phone, bus shelter, or any other public amenity, is sometimes referred to as a lollipop, for obvious reasons. So, Vlady took the hint and turned all of these annoying lollipop ad kiosks into summer treats.
It’s a wonderfully simple intervention, one that doesn’t even require a key to open to ad kiosks, since Vlady just paints right over them. I’ve been thinking about how New Yorkers could do something similar with the LinkNYC towers that have been popping up everywhere… Maybe white sheets that turn the towers into ghosts for Halloween? But the popsicle idea is just perfect. Turn something hated into something everyone can enjoy.
Here’s one more:
Thanks Vlady! This series really made my day. Certainly the best street art I’ve seen all week (although Banksy at the Barbican is pretty great too), and something that anyone who feels inspired can replicate or adapt to their own environment.
To my readers: enjoy the last bits of summer. And remember: There’s no better way to enjoy the nice weather than a bit of vandalism for the public good!
Photos by Vlady
Escif and T-JULY Size Women's Winter Boots Metal Buckle Fur Warm Winter Woman shoes Zipper Knee Boots Fashion Simple Long Boots just wrapped up two murals each at Female winter snow boots leather printing flat boots medium tube thickening warm women boots ( Size US 6.5\UK 5.5\EUR 38 ), a self-managed neighborhood in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain that’s been around since 2013. The Errekaleor community is currently fighting against eviction, and has transitioned to renewable energy via solar panels after the city cut them off from the grid.
I’m not usually one for glow-in-the-dark murals, but I love this one from Escif. On his blog, Escif wrote (translated here by Google and me), “The city cut the light without thinking that night belongs to the residents, and they were given, unknowingly, the possibility of making the darkness a little clearer. They say cats can see at night. So we painted the eyes of this great black cat with fluorescent paint so that he too can be self-sufficient.”
And this Blu mural is an instant classic, and hopefully an inspiration to the residents of Errekaleor who are resisting eviction and development.
Best of luck to the residents of Errekaleor as they continue their fight.
Photos from Escif and Blu
Been slow on updating Vandalog lately, and I’m realizing it’s because I’ve spent so much of this year focused on curating and project management, and that’s meant that writing has taken a backseat. Still, sometimes I come across something great that doesn’t need much additional commentary.
Today, that was this piece by Montana Veronique Women US 7 Brown Flats and Newton Running Women's Isaac S White, which you can find in Potenza, Italy. Aliens are welcome became immigrants are welcome. Aliens are welcome because sometimes it feels like my country is so messed up right now that it couldn’t possibly get any worse with aliens in charge (although I guess that’s the sort of logic that got us into this mess…). Aliens are welcome because if you’re gonna write something on a wall, it might as well be a greeting to a stranger. Aliens are welcome because why not.
Photo courtesy of Rub Kandy
The moment I walked away from painting this piece, I knew it was going to be defaced. I just didn’t know how soon. I made this piece as a prayer to the queer body—in a world where LGBTQ people are thrown into the margins. When home does not exist for us in this world, where can we discover home other than within the beauty of our own bodies? Sometimes that home-making looks like masturbation. This piece, resting at the top of the Lanikai Pillbox Hike in Kailua, Hawaii, lasted barely two days before the word “queer” was crossed out, and a penis was spray painted between the hands. This leaves me wondering: is queer street art/graffiti perpetually destined to be short-lived? What does that have to say about the safety of queer people of color in America and the world?
When queer people of color have no safe havens, religions, or churches in this society, we must turn to our own bodies for safety. In the same way a lover’s touch across a chest can calm the fiercest of storms, when I touch myself, I become my own queer lover. For one moment, all the forces that marginalize me cease to exist.
When I wrote this poem and birthed it into public space, I was thinking about what it could mean for queer people to happen upon acknowledgement of their own survival at the top of a long hike. I was thinking about queer immigrant children whose identities are rejected by homophobic parents and the complicated push and pull of duty and desire when you still love your family but also love yourself enough to know some identities run deeper than bone and cannot be unlearned. I was thinking about the dancers who lost their lives in the Pulse nightclub shooting, and all the queer bars and clubs across this world that have learned to operate underground. I was thinking about the late Chinese photographer Ren Hang, and queer and transgender warriors who were already living in a future so brilliant, this world was not ready for them. I was thinking about all the times where the violences of this world collapsed in on me and I too didn’t know how much longer I could stay in this world, but somehow, by touching myself, or making a piece of art, I rooted my body back into the Earth and found the resilience within me to live another morning.
Birthing queer poems and murals often feels akin to what I imagine it would be like to be a mother to queer children. I imagine bracing them for the violence of this society, preparing them for a never-ending war—where they will be bullied, forced into a closet, or pressured to camouflage with their heteronormative surroundings. Yet no violence or silencing will stop me from giving queer art the beautiful life and care that it deserves. Body bent over the wall, for once in my life, I was able to share the intimate experience of my survival in public space and make a poem out of it. These words were sacred to me, and when they appeared as a monumental prayer, surrounded by the roaring Pacific, it felt as if there were not one but thousands of mornings left for me to live.
The erasure of the word “queer” and the painting of a penis on top of a queer woman’s art is a reflection of the patriarchal and homophobic world we live in. If queer survival and masturbation is so threatening to this society, then I suppose it must be some type of magic. If our words are to be feared, crossed out and set to fire, let them burn bright like a meteorite and blind those who cannot acknowledge the beauty of queer survival. What the homophobic and transphobic world doesn’t understand is that no matter how many times our identities are crossed out, there is an impenetrable home within our bodies, which we can always return to.
This resilience is ancestral. Like the genderless leopard slugs that hang upside down from trees and mutually penetrate, or polyamorous lesbian bonobo monkeys who resolve conflict through sex, queerness and sexual diversity has existed since the dawning of life on Earth. Comfortable Slipper Men's Home Interior Leather Lounge Slippers Soild color Balck Slippers Casual shoes Bedroom for Men
I will continue to put queer joy and self-love into public space regardless of those it provokes because I believe in a queer future. I believe in a world where young queers can finally be affirmed by their own secrets on the streets and at the tops of buildings—whether they are just coming out, or have long celebrated their queer crushes, or are learning the beauty of self-pleasure for the first time. We have been invisibilized, burned, and marginalized long enough. Most importantly, I believe the truths that keep us living and in love must be made public.
Note: Thank you to queer multi-disciplinary artist, ROMIKA Sandals Olivia 07 Taupe and Hawaiian artist Ittai Wong for making this piece possible and uplifting me and the beautiful communities that surround you. A few of the themes brought up in this article came from Marc Fisher Womens Cassidey2 Velvet Ankle Booties by Greta Gard.
Thank you Ocean Vuong, and his poem 3.5 Inch Height Increasing Cap Toe Derby Optimazation Men Dress shoes Taller for giving me the courage to bring these thoughts to poetry. Thank you Papillio Women's Tabora Floral Circles Pink (42 M EU) for giving me the courage to bring my poetry to the streets.
Thank you Ren Hang (March 30, 1987-February 24, 2017) wherever you are, I hope there is no censorship, or borders, only joy.
Photos by Chad Shomura, Ren Hang, and Ittai Wong