If you thought, “Hmm, Vandalog doesn’t seem to be updating as much” throughout 2017… Here’s why: We were focused on Nike Men's Air More Money Leather Cross-Trainers shoes, a 52-week campaign of ad takeovers across New York City! We worked with Faust, Shepard Fairey, Molly Crabapple, Jess X Snow, and dozens more artists to install their work in NYC payphones.
Now that the campaign has been going for a year, we’re ready to celebrate!
On January 26th, find us at LUCAS LUCAS in Williamsburg for an Art in Ad Places exhibition, and the launch of a book celebrating all of our ad takeovers to date. We’ll have photos from Luna Park, books, a special installation with the help of fellow ad takeover activist Jordan Seiler, and drinks from Glerups Unisex Model BR Slipper. We open at 7pm.
And if you can’t make it to the opening, the show will be open through February 3rd.
- Sage Rocky Men's S2V Work
- DecoStain Women's Pointed Toe Sequins Glitter Stiletto High Heels Pumps Party Evening Office Dress shoes
- Filipino Canadian Flag Women'S Casual Canvas Sling Bag For Shopping Work Bag
- Fashion Sneaker For Men Cute Tree Branches Cool Lightweight Breathable Mesh Mens Tennis shoes
- Ghapwe Women's Casual Low Top Platform Sneakers Lace Up Plimsoll Canvas shoes Navy bluee 7.5 M US
- AllhqFashion Women's High-top Pull-on Frosted Kitten-Heels Round Closed Toe Boots
- Eastland Women's Sage Slip-On Loafer
- KOLHAPURI CHAPPAL Original Striking Designer’s Yellow mat Design Back Strip Ladies Kolhapuri Half shoes Slipper Sandal
- YJNB 2016 Autumn And Winter In The New Flat Boots High Heels Martin Boots Warm Snow Boots
- DF Table Runners for Family Dinners, Gatherings, Parties, Wedding, Everyday Use (Size 32×220cm) (Size 32×260cm)
- Zeagoo Water Sports shoes Barefoot Quick-Dry Aqua Yoga Socks for Men Women Swim
- Wild Diva Women's Dress Satin Lace Top Decorated High Heel Pointy Toes Pump Fashion shoes
- Josef Seibel Women's Caren 06 Lace Up Sneaker
- Leather Classics Men's 7-1 2 Western Dress
- Sonjer New Men Casual shoes Autumn Fashion Men British Outdoor Flats shoes Sports shoes Male Wear Resistant Casual Sneakers
- Adidas Barricade 2015 Saksaywaman Wall Tennis Sneaker shoes - Mens Red
- Icebug Men's DTS3 RB9X Traction Running shoes
- GouuoHi Womens Elegant Women's Solid color Court shoes Pointed Toe Thick Shallow Mouth Buckle Wild Comfortable Middle Heel Casual Suede Nude shoes
- LYZGF Men's Spring Autumn Business Casual Comfort Black Pointed shoes
- Work shoes Light and comfortable men and women casual shoes work safety shoes steel toe caps breathable mesh surface anti-piercing labor insurance shoes summer breathable deodorant predection non-slip
- Black fluff Genuine Leather Women Military Boots Women Martin Boots -Heeled Thick Wool Boots
- HuangKang Women's Flat shoes Summer Bohemian Casual Sandals Open Toe Roman Style Sandals
- PUMA Men's Carson 2 Sneaker Quarry-White 13 M US
- Adidas Originals Rita Ora Tech Super bluee
- Nike Air Max Uptempo 97
- Jamron Women Elegant Pointed-Toe Stiletto Pumps Newly Autumn High Heel Velvet & Leather Slip On Booties
- BIGTREE Warm Long Boots Women Faux Suede Fur Black Zipper Fall Winter Elegant Knee High Boots
- Chase & Chloe Womens 36-MINA4 Closed Toe Mary Jane High Heel shoes Grey 2 5.5 B(M) US
- FEWW11 Women Fashion Lightweight shoes Sneakers Cool Pet Background Dog Paw Breathable Gym Lace-Up
- Minkun New Casual Sandals Women's shoes Thick Soles Slippers Fish Mouth shoes Exposed Toe shoes
- Top Moda Women's Rice-60 Boots
- GIY Women's Pointed Toe Casual Oxfords Loafers shoes Suede Slip-On Low Wedge Heels Retro Dress Pumps
- AllhqFashion Women's Open Toe Cow Leather High Heels Solid Sandals with Wrist Strap and Platform
- Clarks Women's, Leisa Lakelyn Sandals White 6 W
- Forsake Men's Lockout Leather Sneakerboot with High & Dry magnetic laces. Forsake partnered with Woolrich to design a versatile footwear option that combines the Beste of outdoor and streetwear. (11.5)
- BND-SHOES,Men's Fashion Ankle Boots Casual Classic Convenient Zipper Metal Decoration Retro High Top Boot Durable,Stand Wear and Tear (color Black, Size 9 D(M) US)
- WeiPoot Women's Soft Material Solid Closed-Toe Boots with Rubber Soles and Metal Buckles
- UZAFIT New York Bodybuilding Weightlifting Crossfit Boxing shoes Unisex Sneaker Black and White
- Dark Natural G By Guess Womens Gift Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- Women's high Heels Leather Pointed Zipper Ankle Boots Thick with 6cm high-end Women's shoes
- Lh yu Women Sandals Women's Sandals Spring Summer Fall Fleece Wedding Dress Party & Evening Stiletto Heel Pearl Tassel White
- Mens sports sandals hiking outdoor lightweight comfort Summer leather beach shoes outdoor casual shoes sandals
- Fila SKYBREEZE Mens Running shoes
- Men's Non-slip Breathable Low help casual shoes soft Comfortable Front tie Lightweight Sneakers
- Clarks Buckland Mid, Men's Boots
- bluee Men's Mesh Sports shoes Non-slip Breathable Casual shoes Lightweight Sleeve Running shoes Outdoor Training Fitness shoes
- Lucksender Womens Rounde Toe Chunky High Heel Ankle High Boots
- AAKOPE& Rome Strappy Gladiator Sandals Womens 2018 Summer Vogue Plaid Square High Heels Cross Tied Sandals Party shoes New 34-43 Red 4.5
- Rocket Dog Womens Tibor Engineered Knit bluetcher Sneaker
- WeiPoot Women's Pull On Kitten Heels Patent Leather Solid Square Closed Toe Pumps-shoes
- Meiguiyuan Elegant Office Lady Women's Pumps Trendy Sexy Party Women's shoes MatureThin High Heels shoes
- March for our lives accessories Gun Control Womens Comfortable Plimsolls
- Women Fashion Ethnic Style Bohemian Rhinestone Beaded Flat Sandals Ladies Sexy Snake Pattern Sandals
- Badgley Mischka Womens Jean Pump
- Gedigits Women Platform Sneakers Wedge Casual shoes Female Breathable Trainers Mesh Sneakers Yellow 7.5 M US
In 2017, I curated the We The People series for KEEN Utility Men's San Antonio ESD Industrial shoes, a series of six murals by some of my favorite artists. I probably should have been writing about We The People on here regularly since July, but here’s a very belated update from Philly.
Before we get into We the People, a bit of context. The last year has seen the floodgates open in the USA, with national conversations on crises that have been festering under-reported for years, like sexual harassment and racism. The arts community has added their voices to the mix through projects like the ECCO Men's Grenoble Chukka Boot, Mizuno Men's Wave Rider 22 Knit Running shoes, and the Whitney’s An Incomplete History of Protest.
This moment demands urgent public art. And muralists have responded. In at least one case, an artist was censored after-the-fact and had to make things work ARIAT Men's Casual shoes Work Boot. But some mural festivals have embraced a spirit of activism, most notably Georgia Men's Gb00124 Mid Calf Boot in Rochester, NY and Hugo Boss Parkour Runn ltls shoes in Atlanta, GA.
It’s in a similar spirit to all of those projects that we tried a little experiment in Philadelphia with We The People. When Mural Arts invited me to curate a series of walls for them, I figured it had to be of the moment, and with artists that they weren’t already doing a lot of work with. So we invited OLUKAI Men's Moloa Kohana II, Chris “Daze” Ellis, Nike Men's Air Force 1 Ultra Flyknit Mid Grey White 817420-003, Dennis McNett, NTEL, and Jess X. Snow to create work celebrating the best of the American spirit right now, while also reflecting current national concerns. Plus, it was a continuation of Mural Arts’ years-long effort to work with more street artists. There was little community engagement beyond what I and the project manager did while hunting for walls, but I think that by being careful about sites, artists, and content, we brought to life some strong, timely, and site-responsive work.
Let’s start off 2018 on the right foot. Here’s a suggestion from Nike Air Max Tr 180.
Photo by Uncle Susan
Our friend Doug Gillen at 5.11 Tactical 8 Black Leather Speed 3.0 Waterproof Combat Military Boots, Style 12371 just posted a video commentary on NIKE Kd Trey 5 Vi Mens Aa7067-135 Size 8.5 visit to Palestine, part of a residency at Bacco Bucci Men's Fausto Loafer Rockport Men's Style Future Plain Toe Oxford. Doug echos this (somewhat flawed but worth reading) piece from Isaac Brosilow, Nike Air Vapormax Running Men's shoes Size 11.5. I’ve written very positively about Lush in the past, we released a product of his through Vandalog, and he even contributed to the site once upon a time. But I gotta agree with Doug on this one… Lush has gone off the deep end, and something doesn’t feel quite right here, to say the least.
Photo from Lush’s Twitter
The word sideshow comes up several times in conversation when discussing the traveling installation centered on Andrew H. Shirley’s Wastedland 2 film. The touring exhibition is as much of a whirlwind as the artist himself, connecting collaborators from across the country in an ever-evolving project.
While the upcoming screening of Wastedland 2 this Friday at Irish Setter Men's 83604 6 Aluminum Toe Work Boot is the first screening with an emphasis on audience participation through costumes, the film had previously shown in New York City at the Knockdown Center. At this venue, from the moment I stepped into the installation it felt like a family reunion, a theme that is echoed throughout the film. It was a feeling I couldn’t quite put my finger on, and decided it was probably all the personal connections I had with the people and left it at that. However, when I went to interview Andrew, I had to ask if he could illuminate why even people I knew who were not personally familiar with the crews involved still came away with this sense of kinship. Shirley explained, “In many ways Wastedland 2 created not only a new platform of film exhibition, but perhaps exemplified the idea of collaborative action and support from a community that is sometimes over looked as far as how genuinely loyal and generous they are. The graffiti community not only looks out for each other, but they are a family that looks out for people in need- in many ways.” From assisting in the entry of buildings to a floor to call a safe home for the night, the filmmaker was quick to name all of the people and places who helped him out. It may not have been a direct connection, but maybe a friend of a friend, because as he stated they are the family that always looks out for one another.
Beyond these overarching themes, I was curious about how the process varied city to city, having only attended the Knockdown Center screening myself. Nike Men's Odyssey React Shield Running shoes Olive Silver Black
Obviously, that headline is misleading. And the above video is pretty messed up. But it’s pretty messed up inside the heads of Alex Jones’ viewers! Which brings us to… Inside the Crisis Actors Studio, hosted by James Lipton, a show based on things that far right conspiracy theorists actually believe. Admittedly, this is maybe an odd thing for me to post about, but I’ve been thinking about Inside the Crisis Actors Studio all week. Plus, although the video’s creators have chosen to remain anonymous, at least one of them has been covered on Vandalog before, and they’d be familiar to the street art/activism community.
No doubt that Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is disturbing. Four actors who were due to audition declined after reading the script. But it’s also rooted in a kind of truth, the truth that some people actually believe this stuff. The references that Lipton and “crisis actor” Mark Hannigan make are based on conspiracies that people Alex Jones and his fans actually subscribe to. Yes, seriously. If you’ve never before heard of the concept of a crisis actor, consider yourself lucky, but sheltered. Realizing that these conspiracies are out there starts to explain a little of why gun control is so difficult. Plus, it’s got me thinking about the media that I consume and the bubbles of odd beliefs and consumption that we all fall into. Inside the Crisis Actors Studio is some necessary but dark (very dark) comedy. Hopefully, more episodes are forthcoming.
Who doesn’t love popsicles? You? If you don’t love popsicles, maybe you work at JCDecaux (and even if you do work at JCDecaux and claim they aren’t your thing… we all know you still love popsicles).
Well, I love popsicles, and it seems that my friend Vlady is also a normal popsicle-loving person. For JCDecaux Ice Lolly, he covered up a series of JCDecaux’s ad spaces in Turku, Finland. This particular kind of outdoor ad, where the ad just pops up out of the ground, unattached to a pay phone, bus shelter, or any other public amenity, is sometimes referred to as a lollipop, for obvious reasons. So, Vlady took the hint and turned all of these annoying lollipop ad kiosks into summer treats.
It’s a wonderfully simple intervention, one that doesn’t even require a key to open to ad kiosks, since Vlady just paints right over them. I’ve been thinking about how New Yorkers could do something similar with the LinkNYC towers that have been popping up everywhere… Maybe white sheets that turn the towers into ghosts for Halloween? But the popsicle idea is just perfect. Turn something hated into something everyone can enjoy.
Here’s one more:
Thanks Vlady! This series really made my day. Certainly the best street art I’ve seen all week (although Banksy at the Barbican is pretty great too), and something that anyone who feels inspired can replicate or adapt to their own environment.
To my readers: enjoy the last bits of summer. And remember: There’s no better way to enjoy the nice weather than a bit of vandalism for the public good!
Photos by Vlady
Escif and Caterpillar Men's Alaska 2.0 ST Black Industrial & Construction shoes just wrapped up two murals each at 5.11 Tactical Men's Taclite 8-Inch Leather Combat Work Boots, Oil-Resistant Outsole, Style 12031, a self-managed neighborhood in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain that’s been around since 2013. The Errekaleor community is currently fighting against eviction, and has transitioned to renewable energy via solar panels after the city cut them off from the grid.
I’m not usually one for glow-in-the-dark murals, but I love this one from Escif. On his blog, Escif wrote (translated here by Google and me), “The city cut the light without thinking that night belongs to the residents, and they were given, unknowingly, the possibility of making the darkness a little clearer. They say cats can see at night. So we painted the eyes of this great black cat with fluorescent paint so that he too can be self-sufficient.”
And this Blu mural is an instant classic, and hopefully an inspiration to the residents of Errekaleor who are resisting eviction and development.
Best of luck to the residents of Errekaleor as they continue their fight.
Photos from Escif and Blu
Been slow on updating Vandalog lately, and I’m realizing it’s because I’ve spent so much of this year focused on curating and project management, and that’s meant that writing has taken a backseat. Still, sometimes I come across something great that doesn’t need much additional commentary.
Today, that was this piece by Bruno Magli Men's Cristof Oxford and Nike Air Max 270 Mens shoes Mens Bv2517-800 Size 10.5, which you can find in Potenza, Italy. Aliens are welcome became immigrants are welcome. Aliens are welcome because sometimes it feels like my country is so messed up right now that it couldn’t possibly get any worse with aliens in charge (although I guess that’s the sort of logic that got us into this mess…). Aliens are welcome because if you’re gonna write something on a wall, it might as well be a greeting to a stranger. Aliens are welcome because why not.
Photo courtesy of Rub Kandy
goldMoral Elevator shoes, Height Increasing Men's Leather Black White Sports Sneaker Outdoor Invisible Heel 7CM 2.75 inch (Dr. Martens Work Mens Isambard 8-Tie ST Waterproof Boot), the author of this post, is a queer Asian public artist, filmmaker and poet.
The moment I walked away from painting this piece, I knew it was going to be defaced. I just didn’t know how soon. I made this piece as a prayer to the queer body—in a world where LGBTQ people are thrown into the margins. When home does not exist for us in this world, where can we discover home other than within the beauty of our own bodies? Sometimes that home-making looks like masturbation. This piece, resting at the top of the Lanikai Pillbox Hike in Kailua, Hawaii, lasted barely two days before the word “queer” was crossed out, and a penis was spray painted between the hands. This leaves me wondering: is queer street art/graffiti perpetually destined to be short-lived? What does that have to say about the safety of queer people of color in America and the world?
When queer people of color have no safe havens, religions, or churches in this society, we must turn to our own bodies for safety. In the same way a lover’s touch across a chest can calm the fiercest of storms, when I touch myself, I become my own queer lover. For one moment, all the forces that marginalize me cease to exist.
When I wrote this poem and birthed it into public space, I was thinking about what it could mean for queer people to happen upon acknowledgement of their own survival at the top of a long hike. I was thinking about queer immigrant children whose identities are rejected by homophobic parents and the complicated push and pull of duty and desire when you still love your family but also love yourself enough to know some identities run deeper than bone and cannot be unlearned. I was thinking about the dancers who lost their lives in the Pulse nightclub shooting, and all the queer bars and clubs across this world that have learned to operate underground. I was thinking about the late Chinese photographer Ren Hang, and queer and transgender warriors who were already living in a future so brilliant, this world was not ready for them. I was thinking about all the times where the violences of this world collapsed in on me and I too didn’t know how much longer I could stay in this world, but somehow, by touching myself, or making a piece of art, I rooted my body back into the Earth and found the resilience within me to live another morning.
Birthing queer poems and murals often feels akin to what I imagine it would be like to be a mother to queer children. I imagine bracing them for the violence of this society, preparing them for a never-ending war—where they will be bullied, forced into a closet, or pressured to camouflage with their heteronormative surroundings. Yet no violence or silencing will stop me from giving queer art the beautiful life and care that it deserves. Body bent over the wall, for once in my life, I was able to share the intimate experience of my survival in public space and make a poem out of it. These words were sacred to me, and when they appeared as a monumental prayer, surrounded by the roaring Pacific, it felt as if there were not one but thousands of mornings left for me to live.
The erasure of the word “queer” and the painting of a penis on top of a queer woman’s art is a reflection of the patriarchal and homophobic world we live in. If queer survival and masturbation is so threatening to this society, then I suppose it must be some type of magic. If our words are to be feared, crossed out and set to fire, let them burn bright like a meteorite and blind those who cannot acknowledge the beauty of queer survival. What the homophobic and transphobic world doesn’t understand is that no matter how many times our identities are crossed out, there is an impenetrable home within our bodies, which we can always return to.
This resilience is ancestral. Like the genderless leopard slugs that hang upside down from trees and mutually penetrate, or polyamorous lesbian bonobo monkeys who resolve conflict through sex, queerness and sexual diversity has existed since the dawning of life on Earth. Giro Republic R Knit HV Cycling shoes - Men's
I will continue to put queer joy and self-love into public space regardless of those it provokes because I believe in a queer future. I believe in a world where young queers can finally be affirmed by their own secrets on the streets and at the tops of buildings—whether they are just coming out, or have long celebrated their queer crushes, or are learning the beauty of self-pleasure for the first time. We have been invisibilized, burned, and marginalized long enough. Most importantly, I believe the truths that keep us living and in love must be made public.
Note: Thank you to queer multi-disciplinary artist, Yonex Comfort Z Men shoes and Hawaiian artist Ittai Wong for making this piece possible and uplifting me and the beautiful communities that surround you. A few of the themes brought up in this article came from Nike Men's Air Max Command shoes Red by Greta Gard.
Thank you Ocean Vuong, and his poem La Sportiva Men's Lycan GTX Mountain Running shoes for giving me the courage to bring these thoughts to poetry. Thank you Nike M2k Tekno Mens Av4789-200 Size 11.5 for giving me the courage to bring my poetry to the streets.
Thank you Ren Hang (March 30, 1987-February 24, 2017) wherever you are, I hope there is no censorship, or borders, only joy.
Photos by Chad Shomura, Ren Hang, and Ittai Wong